Re: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] faster uprobes

On Thu, Mar 7, 2024 at 6:02 PM Kui-Feng Lee <sinquersw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 3/5/24 15:53, Song Liu wrote:

> > I was thinking about a similar idea. I guess these user space BPF
> > programs will have limited features that we can probably use them
> > update bpf maps. For this limited scope, we still need bpf_arena.
> > Otherwise, the user space bpf program will need to update the bpf
> > maps with sys_bpf(), which adds the same overhead as triggering
>
> That is true. However, even without bpf_arena, it still works with
> some workarounds without going through sys_bpf().

Anything making uprobes faster would be very welcomed for my project.  The
biggest performance problem for us is the cost of bpf_probe_read_user()
relative to raw memory access. Every call to this helper walks the process'
page table to check that the access would not cause a fault (I think); this is
very slow. I wonder if there's some other option that would keep the safety
requirement for the memory access -- I'm imagining an optimistic mode where the
raw access is performed (in the target process' memory space) and, in the rare
case when a fault happens, the kernel would somehow recover from the fault and
fail the bpf_probe_read_user() helper. Would something like that be technically
feasible / has there been any prior interest in faster access to user memory?

A more limited option that might be helpful would be a vectorized version of
bpf_probe_read_user() that verifies many pointers at once.