RE: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] Value Tracking in Verifier

Shung-Hsi Yu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like propose a discussion about BPF verifier itself. To avoid being too
> vague, this proposition limits to value tracking (i.e. var_off and
> *{min,max}_value in bpf_reg_state); taking a very brief look at the
> challenges of current implementation, and maybe alternative implementation
> like PREVAIL[1]. Before heading on to the actual discussion:
> - Unify signed and unsigned min/max tracking[2]
> - Refactor value tracking routines (as set-operations)
> - Tracking relation between values

Sounds interesting to me. Just creating a summarized list of the examples
that have forced the signed/unsigned separation would be valuable and the
reasons why we have both var_off and min,max would be a nice document.
The examples would show why the bit tracking and min/max has resisted
easily being unified.