Re: Question about bpf perfbuf/ringbuf: pinned in backend with overwriting

Hi Steven,

Thanks for your explanation about ftrace ring buffer. Also thanks to Shung-Hsi for the discussion.

Here are some features of ftrace buffer that I'm not sure if they are right. Could you please tell me if my understandings correct?

(1) When reading and writing occur concurrently:
(a) If reader is faster than writer, the reader cannot get the page which is still being written, which means the reader cannot get the data immediately of one-page length in the worst case. (b) If writer is faster than reader, the only race between them is when reader is doing swap while writer wraps in overwrite mode. But if the reader has finished swapping, the writer can wrap safely, because the reader page if already out of the buffer page list.

(2) As the per-cpu buffer list is dynamic with reader page moves, we cannot do mmap to expose the buffer to user. Users can consume at most one page at a time.

(3) The wake-up behavior is controllable. If there is no waiter at all, no overhead will be induced because of waking up.

Thanks.