Re: Question about bpf perfbuf/ringbuf: pinned in backend with overwriting

On Thu, Dec 7, 2023 at 6:49 AM Alan Maguire <alan.maguire@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 07/12/2023 13:15, Philo Lu wrote:
> > Hi all. I have a question when using perfbuf/ringbuf in bpf. I will
> > appreciate it if you give me any advice.
> >
> > Imagine a simple case: the bpf program output a log (some tcp
> > statistics) to user every time a packet is received, and the user
> > actively read the logs if he wants. I do not want to keep a user process
> > alive, waiting for outputs of the buffer. User can read the buffer as
> > need. BTW, the order does not matter.
> >
> > To conclude, I hope the buffer performs like relayfs: (1) no need for
> > user process to receive logs, and the user may read at any time (and no
> > wakeup would be better); (2) old data can be overwritten by new ones.
> >
> > Currently, it seems that perfbuf and ringbuf cannot satisfy both: (i)
> > ringbuf: only satisfies (1). However, if data arrive when the buffer is
> > full, the new data will be lost, until the buffer is consumed. (ii)
> > perfbuf: only satisfies (2). But user cannot access the buffer after the
> > process who creates it (including perf_event.rb via mmap) exits.
> > Specifically, I can use BPF_F_PRESERVE_ELEMS flag to keep the
> > perf_events, but I do not know how to get the buffer again in a new
> > process.
> >
> > In my opinion, this can be solved by either of the following: (a) add
> > overwrite support in ringbuf (maybe a new flag for reserve), but we have
> > to address synchronization between kernel and user, especially under
> > variable data size, because when overwriting occurs, kernel has to
> > update the consumer posi too; (b) implement map_fd_sys_lookup_elem for
> > perfbuf to expose fds to user via map_lookup_elem syscall, and a
> > mechanism is need to preserve perf_event->rb when process exits
> > (otherwise the buffer will be freed by perf_mmap_close). I am not sure
> > if they are feasible, and which is better. If not, perhaps we can
> > develop another mechanism to achieve this?
> >

> There was an RFC a while back focused on supporting BPF ringbuf
> over-writing [1]; at the time, Andrii noted some potential issues that
> might be exposed by doing multiple ringbuf reserves to overfill the
> buffer within the same program.

Correct. I don't think it's possible to correctly and safely support
overwriting with BPF ringbuf that has variable-sized elements.

We'll need to implement MPMC ringbuf (probably with fixed sized
element size) to be able to support this.