Re: REALLY Bad encoding performance of Linux SBC audio codec

Hello,

Sorry Bad news.
the encoding and decodng performance of bluez's SBC is really bad.
I just used the latest sbcenc program from bluez-4.17 and compared it to the
reference

Attached you will find wav-files encoded with the Bluetooth reference
implementation and bluez

Filelist
========
compare.sh	        is the scrip that I use to compare both codec
versions
refsop01.wav        the original sample
tmp.ref.sbc         with reference encoded
tmp.bluez.sbc       with bluez encoded
tmp.ref.sw.wav      with reference encoded and decoded (has good quality)
tmp.bluez.sw.wav    with bluez encoded and decoded (has bad quality ODG=)
tmp.refbluez.sw.wav with reference encoded and with bluez decoded (has bad
quality)
tmp.bluezref.sw.wav with bluez encoded and with reference decoded (has
medium quality)

Both the bluez encoder and decoder do not work as good as the reference
implementation.

I also conducted some perceptual audio tests with ITU BS.1387 (PEAQ), which
confirm these results.

With best regards,

 Christian

PS:
Attached also an enhanced version for sbc/sbcenc.c, which considers more
command line options.