Re: Proposed API for org.bluez.audio.control (AVRCP)

Marcel,

Thank you for your brief critique.

I believe a couple of message exchanges that could be buried into the daemon is the UnitInfo and SubUnitInfo, at least from the TG
side, because the information for these is constant for any application (perhaps in a .conf file).  There is probably no need for
the application to receive a signal indicating that something has requested Unit- or SubUnitInfo, and no need to construct and send
that response.

However, a TG application may need to query and receive Unit and SubUnitInfo; this could be buried into the establishment of the
link, which as far as I can tell takes place when opening the Device; I am still digging through the code.

I expressed a need (in a Connect method) to select whether the application running in "this" box, connecting to "this" side of the
DBus is CT, TG, or both.  If only one-sided, it makes no sense to add both CT and TG records to SDP.  This is also constant for the
application.

As far as other requirements go from my standpoint, I need full access to sending Metadata from TG to a remote CT using the
VendorDependent message.  I did propose two methods: SendVendorDependent and SendMetadata (specifically for metadata).

I also need full access to Passthrough for receiving messages from a remote CT.  With respect to Passthrough, I believe receiving a
signal is the better way to go (not just the key pressed, but also the vendor dependent operation_data_field).  I know the current
implementation converts a subset of the messages received to simple "keystrokes" sent with /dev/uinput.  Maybe Johan could inform us
of what he intended: his requirements, advantages, limitations, etc.

As far as my approach goes, there are obviously things that will be moved around, deleted, and rethought.  For now I intend to use
the document I submitted as initial guidance and as a checklist until I have a complete working model: it's usually easier to cut
out than to add later.

Incidentally, one of the other things that I have to think about when dealing with metadata is internationalization: displayable
character set, passing non-Western character data, etc.

Thanks again for your comments.

All the best,

David Stockwell