This Week at Interior!

Title: This Week at Interior!
Our weekly recap of events at the U.S. Department of the Interior
This Week at Interior
Thumb: President Biden speaks from behind a podium with a cloudy sky, mountains and a grassy plain behind him.

This Week: President Biden establishes the Baaj Nwaavjo I’tah Kukveni - Ancestral Footprints of the Grand Canyon National Monument; "The Road to Healing" makes its 8th and 9th stops in California; Secretary Haaland travels to Yosemite National Park, part of a month-long tour to celebrate the historic investments from the Great American Outdoors Act; the Administration announces over $44 million from the President’s Investing in America agenda for the National Park System; Interior leaders meet with states and Tribes to discuss water infrastructure and drought resilience along the Colorado River; Interior announces nearly $200 million for western water systems and aquatic ecosystems; the USFWS and its partners celebrate the recovery of an iconic Arizona fish; and we'll shine some light on our social media Picture of the Week!

Watch the Video

President Biden Designates New National Monument

Secretary Haaland speaks from behind a podium with a cloudy sky, mountains and a grassy plain behind her.

President Biden established the Baaj Nwaavjo I’tah Kukveni - Ancestral Footprints of the Grand Canyon National Monument.

Read More

Interior Leaders Hear Survivor Stories in California on “The Road to Healing”

A Native American woman holding a microphone speaks in an auditorium as others listen.

Secretary Haaland and Assistant Secretary for Indian Affairs Bryan Newland made their 8th and 9th stops on The Road to Healing this week in California.

Learn More

Secretary Haaland Marks Great American Outdoors Act Anniversary at Yosemite National Park

Secretary Haaland snaps a picture of a waterfall at Yosemite National Park.

Secretary Haaland traveled to Yosemite National Park this week as part of a month-long tour to celebrate the historic investments from the Great American Outdoors Act.

Read More

Administration Announces $44 Million for National Park System

Assistant Secretary Shannon Estenoz speaks from behind a podium as Second Gentleman Doug Emhoff and Grand Teton National Park Rangers look on.

Interior announced over $44 million from the President’s Investing in America agenda this week to meet critical ecosystem resilience, restoration and environmental planning needs for the National Park Service in fiscal year 2023.

Read More

Interior Leaders Meet with Tribes, States on Colorado River Challenges

Commissioner Touton listens with others in a large meeting room while Deputy Secretary Beaudreau speaks remotely

Deputy Secretary Tommy Beaudreau and Bureau of Reclamation Commissioner Camille Calimlim Touton launched the first-ever Federal-Tribal-State partnership to discuss water infrastructure and drought resilience related to the Colorado River Basin.

Learn More

Nearly $200 Million Available for Drought and Climate Resiliency

A man-made canal carrying water cuts across a western landscape, with rocky mountains visible in the distance

This week, Interior also announced nearly $200 million to develop a more resilient water supply, support cooperative watershed management and safeguard aquatic ecosystems.

Read More

USFWS Proposes the Delisting of the Apache Trout

An Apache trout swims along some rocks at the bottom of a stream

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service joined federal, state, Tribal and private partners this week for an event at Williams Creek National Fish Hatchery in Arizona to celebrate recovery efforts for the Apache trout.

Read More

twitter

Tweet of the Week

Secretary Haaland Twitter Icon

Secretary Deb Haaland @SecDebHaaland

“Native American history is American history. This President and this Administration see Indian Country. I stand here as a testament to that recognition.”

Secretary Haaland selfie photo with President Biden, government officials and Tribal youth

Details |  Retweet

Picture of the Week

A red and white lighthouse shines bright underneath a night sky full of stars. The land where the lighthouse sits is surrounded by green trees.

Our social media Picture of the Week is the red and white Nauset Lighthouse on the Cape Cod National Seashore in Massachusetts. Built in 1877, the “Nauset Light” is part of Cape Cod’s rich nautical history and reminds us of the Cape’s strong connection to the sea as it helps fishermen and recreational boaters navigate safely along the shore.

See the picture on Facebook

facebooktwitterinstagramsubscribe

This email was sent to list-blm-ca@xxxxxxxxxxx by: U.S. Department of the Interior · 1849 C Street, N.W. · Washington DC 20240 · 202-208-3100 GovDelivery logo