This Week at Interior!

Title: This Week at Interior!
Our weekly recap of events at the U.S. Department of the Interior
This Week at Interior
President Biden speaks to a crowd as he announces his budget for fiscal year 2024

This Week: the President's Budget request for fiscal year 2024 includes $18.9 billion for Interior; a delegation from Interior attends the Our Ocean Conference in Panama City, Panama; an advisory committee on invasive species discusses prevention, eradication and control strategies; USFWS announces a $120 million investment to restore national wildlife refuges and partner areas affected by climate change; Reclamation celebrates 120 years of managing water in the west; the BLM approves a new power transmission line in New Mexico; $135 million in Abandoned Mine Land Economic Revitalization grants are awarded to six Appalachian states and three Tribes; and our social media Picture of the Week is strictly for the birds!

Watch the Video

President Biden’s FY 2024 Budget Requests 12% Increase for Interior

Exterior view of the Department of the Interior’s Stewart Udall Building.

The President’s Budget request for fiscal year 2024 was released this week. That proposal includes a total of $18.9 billion for Interior, an increase of $2 billion, or 12 percent over last year.

Read More

Our Ocean Conference Emphasizes Connection with Climate

Assistant Secretary for Insular and International Affairs Carmen Cantor at the Our Ocean Conference in Panama

Assistant Secretary for Insular and International Affairs Carmen Cantor led Interior’s delegation this week at the Our Ocean Conference in Panama City, Panama. The conference emphasized the connection between the world's oceans and the planet's climate.

Read More

New Members Announced as Invasive Species Advisory Committee Charts Path Forward

A lionfish swims next to a coral reef

Members of the Invasive Species Advisory Committee gathered this week to discuss strategies to prevent, eradicate and control invasive species. Managed by the Interior Department, the committee provides valuable input to the National Invasive Species Council.

Read More

Inflation Reduction Act Invests $120 Million in Wildlife Refuges

Still waters of a large inlet reflect the light of the setting sun in a cloudy sky, with birds floating in the water and flying above.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service announced a $120 million Inflation Reduction Act investment to rebuild and restore units of the National Wildlife Refuge System and partnering State Wildlife Management Areas affected by adverse weather events.

Read More

Reclamation Celebrates 120 Years of Water in the West

Bureau of Reclamation Commissioner Camille Calimlim Touton and others take part in a ceremonial groundbreaking, wearing vests and helmets.

Bureau of Reclamation Commissioner Camille Calimlim Touton was in California to celebrate 120 years of managing water in the West and highlight a $60 million award for the Coachella Valley Water District’s irrigation pipeline replacement project, from President Biden’s Bipartisan Infrastructure Law.

Learn More

BLM Authorizes New Renewable Energy Transmission Line

Looking up through the bottom of a power transmission tower.

The Bureau of Land Management has approved the La Mesa Gen-Tie Project in Doña Ana County, southeast of Las Cruces in Anthony, New Mexico. The 4.7-mile power line will serve as an interconnection between the 20 megawatt La Mesa Solar Facility and the Anthony substation.

Read More

OSMRE Announces $135 Million for Appalachian, Tribal Communities

Water flows through a small river with coal mine waste visible in the riverbed.

The Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement this week announced $135 million in Abandoned Mine Land Economic Revitalization grants for six Appalachian states and three Tribes. The funding will help address high priority abandoned mine land problems, including clogged streams, dangerous piles or embankments, dangerous highwalls, underground mine fires and polluted water.

Read More

twitter

Tweet of the Week

Secretary Haaland Twitter Icon

Secretary Deb Haaland  @SecDebHaaland

.@Interior is investing in the places that tell our full American story through @POTUS’s Bipartisan Infrastructure Law and the Outdoor Recreation Legacy Partnership Program.

Three students walk past a sign for the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships on Benedict College's campus

Details |  Retweet

Picture of the Week

A white and brown Laysan albatross shares a heartwarming moment of love with its chick.

Our social media Picture of the Week comes from Midway Atoll Wildlife Refuge where this Laysan albatross is enjoying a heartwarming moment with its chick. Albatross parents will take turns caring for their young, and when they’re not on parenting duty, they will search for food.

See the picture on Twitter

facebooktwitterinstagramsubscribe

This email was sent to list-blm-ca@xxxxxxxxxxx by: U.S. Department of the Interior · 1849 C Street, N.W. · Washington DC 20240 · 202-208-3100 GovDelivery logo