This Week at Interior!

Title: This Week at Interior!
Our weekly recap of events at the U.S. Department of the Interior
This Week at Interior
Indigenous men take part in a drum circle in the Yates Auditorium at the Stewart Lee Udall Building

This Week: Interior celebrates Native American Heritage Month with a focus on “Revitalizing Indigenous Connections; it’s the one-year anniversary of the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law; Secretary Haaland visits the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico; the 2022 United Nations Climate Change Conference of Parties (COP27) convenes in Egypt; the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management seeks public comment on a new offshore wind energy proposal; a new policy aims to protect connected habitat for fish, wildlife and native plants; the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service takes new steps to protect the African elephant; a wreath laying at Arlington National Cemetery honors veterans service and sacrifice; and it’s a stunning reflection of autumn in our social media Picture of the Week!

Watch the Video

Interior Marks Native American Heritage Month

Secretary Haaland prepares to speak behind a podium at the Stewart Lee Udall Building. A row of Tribal flags is arrayed behind her.

Secretary Haaland joined First Lady Dr. Jill Biden at the White House for the first-ever Native American Heritage Month reception. Interior also hosted a Heritage Month event at the Stewart Lee Udall Building, reflecting on this year’s theme, “Revitalizing Indigenous Connections.”

Read More

Interior Marks One Year Anniversary of Bipartisan Infrastructure Law

Officials take part in a ceremonial groundbreaking in front of earth-moving equipment, a reservoir and mountains are visible in the distance.

Since the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law was enacted one year ago, Interior staff have been implementing the law so that future generations have clean air, drinkable water, fertile soil and an overall quality of life that is currently threatened by the worsening climate crisis.

Read More

Secretary Haaland Visits U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico

Secretary Haaland and Assistant Secretary Cantor get a close-up look at sea turtle eggs on a beach.

Secretary Haaland and Assistant Secretary for Insular and International Affairs Carmen Cantor visited the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico, highlighting efforts to help the area withstand the impacts of the climate crisis.

Read More

Assistant Secretary Trujillo Represents Interior at COP27

Hundreds of UN delegates sit in a large auditorium listening to the Secretary General’s remarks; he is visible on large screens above them

Assistant Secretary for Water and Science Tanya Trujillo traveled to Egypt to represent Interior at the 2022 United Nations Climate Change Conference of Parties, or COP27.

Learn More

BOEM Seeks Public Comment Proposed Empire Wind Energy Project

A row of ocean wind turbines

The Bureau of Ocean Energy Management this week opened public comment on the proposed Empire Wind energy project offshore New York.

Read More

BLM Releases New Policy on Habitat Connectivity

Ducks float in a pond surrounded by tall reeds and grasses, with trees and a cloudy sky in the background

The Bureau of Land Management released a new policy to protect the ability of wildlife to migrate between and across seasonal habitat, a concept known as habitat connectivity.

Read More

USFWS Takes Steps to Preserve African Elephant

An African elephant with tusks walks across a grassy plain

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service this week took steps to help protect the African elephant, which is listed under the Endangered Species Act.

Read More

Bureau of Reclamation Honors Veterans at Arlington National Cemetery

Officials watch as Bureau of Reclamation Commissioner Touton helps place a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Arlington National Cemetery

Reclamation leaders took part in a wreath-laying ceremony at Arlington National Cemetery to honor America's veterans.

Learn More

twitter

Tweet of the Week

Secretary Haaland Twitter Icon

Secretary Deb Haaland  @SecDebHaaland

When I was a kid, my dad would take me and my siblings on hikes any chance he got. Now, hitting the trails is one of my favorite things to do. Happy National Hiking Day, everyone!

Secretary Haaland walks on sand with green trees behind her.

Details |  Retweet

Picture of the Week

A vividly colored tree and waterfowl are perfectly reflected in the calm waters of a pond

Our social media Picture of the Week is a stunning reflection of autumn. This time every year, tens of thousands of sandhill cranes, ducks and geese return to Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge in New Mexico to spend the winter. Sprawling across nearly 60,000 acres, Bosque del Apache was established in 1939 to provide a critical stopover site for migrating waterfowl.

See the picture on Twitter

facebooktwitterinstagramsubscribe

This email was sent to list-blm-ca@xxxxxxxxxxx by: U.S. Department of the Interior · 1849 C Street, N.W. · Washington DC 20240 · 202-208-3100 GovDelivery logo