This Year at Interior!

Title: This Year at Interior!
Our recap of 2021 events at the U.S. Department of the Interior
DOI Seal and This Year At Interior
The Secretary stands with a group of people

In 2021: In this special edition, Department of the Interior leaders outline the agency’s bold actions to steward the nation’s public lands, strengthen important environmental protections, pursue environmental justice and honor our relationships with Tribal nations. Interior is building a better America with much-needed investments in communities that will advance our vision for a robust and equitable clean energy future.

Read More

Strengthening Trust Between Law Enforcement and Communities

A law enforcement officer in their uniform

Interior is home to several law enforcement agencies committed to our mission and the safety of communities across the country. Deputy Secretary Tommy Beaudreau outlines how the Department is working to strengthen trust and collaboration between law enforcement and communities with the Law Enforcement Task Force that was stood up in 2021.

Read More

Building a Clean Energy Future

Wind turbines

The time to act on climate is now. Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary for Land and Mineral Management Laura Daniel-Davis highlights the progress Interior made in 2021 to advance solar, onshore and offshore wind, geothermal, and wave and tidal energy projects that will help communities across the country be part of the climate solution by building a clean energy economy with good-paying union jobs.

Read More

Keeping America Beautiful

A group of geese in a field

To meet the moment our country faces, in 2021 the Biden-Harris administration launched “America the Beautiful,” a decade-long challenge to conserve, connect and restore 30% of our lands and waters by 2030 for the sake of our economy, our health and our well-being. Assistant Secretary for Fish and Wildlife and Parks Shannon Estenoz shares how our National Parks and Wildlife Refuges are invaluable partners in this effort to connect communities, expand access to the outdoors and develop locally led conservation efforts.

Read More

Honoring our Promises to Tribes

A group of people meet at a Tribal relations meeting

Honoring the federal government’s relationship with Tribes and upholding trust and treaty responsibilities are paramount to Interior’s mission. Assistant Secretary for Indian Affairs Bryan Newland describes Interior’s work in 2021 to strengthen Tribal consultation, heal from the generational trauma of Federal Indian Boarding Schools, address the missing and murdered Indigenous peoples crisis and expand economic opportunities in Indian Country.

Read More

Promoting Climate Resilience & Fighting Fires

A large and smoky wildfire

As the country faces the increased threats of wildfire, Acting Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary for Policy, Management and Budget Eric Werwa explains how Interior is working to promote climate resiliency across landscapes and communities, modernize the firefighter workforce while creating good jobs, and protect the safety and long-term wellbeing of our wildland firefighters and incident responders.

Read More

Working with our Insular Partners

A group of people pose for a photo

The territories and freely associated states, while independent countries, are uniquely interwoven with the United States in terms of a shared history, ongoing partnership and vision for a free and open Indo-Pacific. Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary for Insular and International Affairs Keone Nakoa highlights Interior’s efforts in 2021 to strengthen economic and health capacities in the territories; fulfill Compact of Free Association obligations; and address climate resilience, conservation and clean energy deployment.

Read More

Managing Historic Water Shortages

Dry and cracked mud

The ongoing drought across the United States – and particularly in the West – presents one of the biggest challenges of our time. Assistant Secretary for Water and Science Tanya Trujillo outlines how in 2021, Interior worked closely with our federal, Tribal and state partners and stakeholders to help communities impacted by drought conditions and develop science-based solutions to build resiliency.

Read More

Restoring Trust in Government

A large forested canyon

Interior is committed to executing our mission ethically and responsibly. Department of the Interior Solicitor Bob Anderson touts Interior’s work to restore protections to protect Bears Ears, Grand Staircase-Escalante and the Northeast Canyons and Seamounts national monuments. These special places will now be preserved for generations to come thanks to the work Interior did in 2021.

Read More

A Year of Enduring Progress

Secretary Haaland

As Secretary Haaland said: “This year showed us that there is no shortage of challenges facing our country, but it also showed us that our country is strong and can tackle any challenge that comes our way. It also demonstrated that we are stronger when we work together. We recognize that we must work collaboratively if we are to make lasting changes to protect this Earth.”

Read More

We look forward to another history-making year in 2022 as we implement the transformational Bipartisan Infrastructure Law.

facebooktwitterinstagramsubscribe

This email was sent to list-blm-ca@xxxxxxxxxxx by: U.S. Department of the Interior · 1849 C Street, N.W. · Washington DC 20240 · 202-208-3100 GovDelivery logo