Robert Anderson Nominated as Solicitor of the Department of the Interior

Title: Robert Anderson Nominated as Solicitor of the Department of the Interior

Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.

US Department of the Interior News Release

Date: Wednesday, April 7, 2021
Contact: Interior_Press@xxxxxxxxxxx

Robert Anderson Nominated as Solicitor of the Department of the Interior

WASHINGTON – Robert (Bob) Anderson’s nomination as Solicitor of the Department of the Interior was formally transmitted by the White House to the United States Senate today. Bob has served as Interior’s Principal Deputy Solicitor since January 20, 2021.

“Bob has extensive legal expertise with regard to Native American Tribes, public lands, and water – all of which will help advance Interior’s mission to steward America's natural, cultural and historic resources and honor our nation-to-nation relationship with Tribes in accordance with the spirit and letter of the law. He is a thoughtful and trusted senior
member of our team at Interiorwith my deep confidence, and I look forward to his
confirmation process,” said Interior Secretary Deb Haaland.

For 20 years, Bob was a law professor at the University of Washington and directed its Native American Law Center. He has been the Oneida Indian Nation Visiting Professor of Law at Harvard Law School for the past twelve years. He is a co-author and editor of the leading federal Indian Law treatise, Cohen’s Handbook of Federal Indian Law, and is a co-author of a leading textbook on American Indian Law. He has extensive expertise and has published many articles in the fields of natural resources law, water law, and American Indian law.

Bob served as the Associate Solicitor for Indian Affairs and Counselor to the Secretary under Interior Secretary Bruce Babbitt. He began his career as a staff attorney for the Native American Rights Fund, where he practiced law for twelve years. Bob also served on the transition agency review teams for President-elect Obama and President-elect Biden.

Bob grew up in the small town of Ely in northeastern Minnesota and is an enrolled member of the Bois Forte Band of the Minnesota Chippewa Tribe. Bob received his law degree from the University of Minnesota.

###

U.S. Department of the Interior | 1849 C Street NW, Washington, DC

FacebookTwitterInstagramYoutube

This email was sent to list-blm-ca@xxxxxxxxxxx by: U.S. Department of the Interior · 1849 C Street, N.W. · Washington DC 20240 · 202-208-3100 GovDelivery logo