This Week at Interior!

Title: This Week at Interior!
Our weekly recap of events at the U.S. Department of the Interior
This Week at Interior
Women's March on DC

This Week: Celebrating Women's History Month, and observing International Transgender Day of Visibility; Secretary Haaland joins a White House forum on offshore wind energy; Interior disburses nearly a quarter-billion dollars in oil and gas revenue to Gulf States for coastal conservation, restoration, and hurricane protection; a new USGS study shows significant decline of Greater-Sage grouse populations; the Fish and Wildlife Service recommends downlisting the Hawaiian ae'o from endangered to threatened; National Park Week is set for April 17th through the 25th, and sandhill cranes take flight in our social media Picture of the Week.

Watch the Video

Women's History Month Virtual Celebration

Secretary Haaland sits at her desk on a video conference call

Secretary Haaland took part in a virtual program saluting Women’s History Month. The month pays tribute to the generations of women who fought to secure voting rights, and who keep fighting for equality and opportunity across all of American society.

Read More

Marking International Transgender Day of Visibility

Secretary Haaland's photo next to transgender flag with quote from paragraph

Secretary Haaland became the first Interior Secretary to officially mark International Transgender Day of Visibility. In a statement the Secretary said “There is nothing more powerful in this world than the act of living openly, authentically, and safely. On this Trans Day of Visibility, we recognize the hard-fought victories won by and for the transgender community, honor the transgender loved ones we’ve lost along the way, and recommit to the struggle for full equality."

Read More

Secretary Haaland Joins White House Clean Energy Forum

wind turbines surrounded by ocean

Secretary Haaland this week joined the Secretaries of Energy, Commerce, and Transportation, along with state, labor, and industry representatives, for a White House forum on offshore wind energy. Interior is working with agencies across the federal government to advance the Biden-Harris administration’s goal of increasing renewable energy development on federal lands and waters.

Read More

Interior Distributes Oil & Gas Revenues to Gulf States

Aerial footage of Gulf of Mexico

Interior's Office of Natural Resources Revenue disbursed $249 million this week in offshore oil and gas revenues to the four Gulf producing states of Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas under the Gulf of Mexico Energy Security Act, or GOMESA. Those funds are used for coastal conservation, restoration, and hurricane protection. Additional revenues will be flowing into the Land and Water Conservation Fund, and the Federal Treasury.

Read More

Sage-Grouse Report Points to Need for More Effective Conservation

Male sage grouse puffing its chest

A new USGS study shows Greater Sage-Grouse populations have declined significantly over the last six decades, a decrease of 80% range wide since 1965, with half of that coming in the last twenty years. The report represents the most comprehensive analysis of greater sage-grouse population trends ever produced.

Read More

FWS Says Hawai'ian Ae'o No Longer Endangered

Hawaiian stilt searches for food in a pool of water

The Fish and Wildlife Service proposed downlisting the wading bird from endangered to threatened. The Service says the stilt's ongoing recovery shows the power of conservation partnerships between federal, state and private stakeholders.

Read More

National Park Week Set for April 17 - April 25

View of mountains through a cabin window

America celebrates National Park Week April 17th through April 25th. This year the focus will be on outdoor experiences that follow CDC and public health guidance, and on fun and innovative digital experiences. Visitors will be able to “journey” to national parks through a variety of online activities including virtual tours, scavenger hunts, trivia contests, and junior ranger programs.

Read More

twitter

Tweet of the Week

Secretary Haaland wears a mask and points

Secretary Deb Haaland @SecDebHaaland

The outdoors has been a welcome comfort through the worries we've faced from the pandemic. This year's National Park Week will be April 17 to 25, and I encourage everyone to celebrate the beauty and wonder of our national parks safely and responsibly.

Glacier National Park in summer

31 Mar

Details |  Retweet

Picture of the Week

Sandhill cranes fly over Great Sand Dunes National Park photo by National Park Service

Sandhill cranes fly over Great Sand Dunes National Park. Photo by Patrick Myers National Park Service

facebooktwitterinstagramsubscribe

This email was sent to list-blm-ca@xxxxxxxxxxx by: U.S. Department of the Interior · 1849 C Street, N.W. · Washington DC 20240 · 202-208-3100 GovDelivery logo