BLM California News.Bytes Issue 779

News.Bytes, Bureau of Land Management California

ISSUE 779 - OCTOBER 5, 2017

- Your Public Lands
- Hunting and Fishing
- Headlines and Highlights
- BLM and DOI Highlights
- Wildlife Question of the Week
- Upcoming Events

YOUR PUBLIC LANDS

Thank You to 2017 National Public Lands Day Volunteers

National Public Lands Day is the largest volunteer event for America's public lands. NPLD is held on a Saturday in late September when thousands of Americans volunteer to improve and enhance our nation's public lands. NPLD officially took place on Saturday, September 30, 2017. In BLM California, NPLD events will continue into the fall. (BLM California Flickr) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2xn8f,3xn3,jch6,dmk7,1bct,ijo3

#MakeYourSplash on Wild and Scenic Rivers

Whether you want to paddle, fish or spend time together as a family, America’s wild and scenic rivers are the perfect place for you. As we celebrate the upcoming 50th anniversary of the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act, we invite you to pick up your paddle or fishing rod to #MakeYourSplash and #FindYourWay on a river near you! (DOI video) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2xn8f,3xn3,ebsq,azyq,1bct,ijo3

9 Things You Didn’t Know About Yosemite National Park

Yosemite National Park is best known for its waterfalls, towering granite monoliths, deep valleys and ancient giant sequoias. On October 1, 1890, Yosemite became a national park, and more than 125 years later, it’s still wowing visitors. Check out some cool facts about this legendary California landmark. (DOI blog) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2xn8f,3xn3,ai8j,5bz5,1bct,ijo3

11 Things You Didn’t Know about Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks

>From rolling foothills to immense forests to sheer granite peaks rising above lush meadows and broad lake basins, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks astound visitors with their wild beauty. Sequoia National Park was established on September 25, 1890, making it our country’s second national park. Fifty years later, on March 4, 1940, Congress established Kings Canyon National Park, which is adjacent to the north boundary of Sequoia. Since World War II, these neighboring parks have been administered jointly. Today, more than 1.5 million people enjoy the beautiful sights at these parks each year. (DOI blog) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2xn8f,3xn3,97rw,fiw4,1bct,ijo3

HUNTING AND FISHING

Annual Kid's Fishing Day

For the 5th year in a row, students from Bend School in Red Bluff, California enjoyed a day on America's public lands at the Sacramento River Bend Outstanding Natural Area. Kids were able to catch largemouth bass and redear sunfish along with learning about aquatic life with hands on aqua tanks full of crayfish, minnows and bull frogs. Many students look forward to this annual event sponsored by our Redding Field Office. (BLM California Facebook) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2xn8f,3xn3,1tzn,6dtt,1bct,ijo3

Hunting and Fishing on America's Public Lands

Hunters and anglers are advised to check area closures and local restrictions before heading out. Fire season is here and several large wildfires are burning currently, which may close some areas to hunting and fishing. Additionally, the severe winter damaged roads, which may account for other closures or restricted access. (BLM California Facebook) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2xn8f,3xn3,85s0,9bvd,1bct,ijo3

Related: Area closures from the California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW website) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2xn8f,3xn3,ha14,dxwd,1bct,ijo3

Related: Current target shooting restrictions (BLM website) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2xn8f,3xn3,4h6z,2s6d,1bct,ijo3

Follow along using the hashtag #HuntFishCA on Facebook and Twitter. Share your hunting and fishing photos via Facebook direct message or in the BLM California Flickr group: flickr.com/groups/blmcaliforniapubliclands

Secretary Zinke Declares October National Hunting and Fishing Month

U.S. Secretary of the Interior Ryan Zinke declared October will officially be recognized as National Hunting and Fishing Month at the Department. Zinke championed the order to recognize the lasting and positive impact of hunters and anglers on wildlife and habitat conservation in America. (DOI news release) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2xn8f,3xn3,jop7,47xu,1bct,ijo3

HEADLINES AND HIGHLIGHTS

Video: Powered by Public Lands, BLM California's Oil and Gas Program

The Bureau of Land Management in California is responsible for managing one of the most productive individual onshore oil and gas leases in the lower 48 states. Hundreds of land lease holders now extract millions of barrels of oil annually from public lands in California, which cover more than 200,000 acres and 7,900 usable wells. Join us on a virtual tour of oil fields in Kern County. (BLM California YouTube) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2xn8f,3xn3,68bq,4l5h,1bct,ijo3

Moving Mountains

Santa Rosa and San Jacinto Mountains National Monument is featured in the Fall/Winter 2017-2018 issue of the Agua Caliente Band of Cahuilla Indians Tribal Magazine, "Me Yah Whae." See pages 44-49. (Agua Caliente online magazine) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2xn8f,3xn3,6i0m,9mlo,1bct,ijo3

Tree Mortality in the Sierra Nevada

Sierra Nevada forests and watersheds are at a critical point. Ongoing drought, a century of fire suppression, widespread tree mortality due to insect attacks and disease, and a changing climate have led to Incredible changes across the Sierra Nevada Region. California is experiencing tree die-off at an unprecedented scale, and the Sierra Nevada Region has been hit extremely hard. 102 million trees have died across the state due to drought and bark beetles since 2010, and 88 percent of those dead trees are in the Sierra. As surveys continue throughout the state, the number of dead trees is expected to grow. (Sierra Nevada Conservancy) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2xn8f,3xn3,gcw2,4oy4,1bct,ijo3

Mustangs Capture the Attention of International Endurance Riders at the Tevis Cup

The Tevis Cup is an internationally known 100-mile race that takes place annually in Auburn, California. The town of Auburn, dubs itself “the Endurance Capital of the World,” as it holds at least two endurance races with long histories, the Tevis Cup 100-Mile Endurance Equestrian Ride, established in 1955, and the Western States 100-Mile Endurance Run, started around 1977. This year six mustangs started the Tevis Cup on August 7, 2017. Five mustangs finished, and four mustangs completed the grueling race. (BLM California Facebook) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2xn8f,3xn3,dyuy,ggyi,1bct,ijo3

BLM Lifting Fire Restrictions for Lands Managed by Eagle Lake, Applegate Field Offices

With the return of cooler weather and reduced wildfire dangers, the Bureau of Land Management rescinded fire restrictions on public lands managed by the Eagle Lake and Applegate Field Offices in Lassen, Modoc, Plumas, Sierra, eastern Shasta and eastern Siskiyou counties in California and in Washoe County, Nevada. Restrictions were lifted Friday, September 29. (BLM news release) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2xn8f,3xn3,17nm,fhc,1bct,ijo3

BLM Lifting Fire Restrictions for Lands Managed by Ukiah and Arcata Field Offices

With the return of cooler weather and reduced wildfire dangers, the Bureau of Land Management today rescinded fire restrictions on public lands managed by the Ukiah and Arcata field offices in Del Norte, Humboldt, Trinity, Mendocino, Lake, Sonoma, Napa, Yolo, Colusa, Glenn and Solano counties. The BLM is also lifting restrictions on target shooting that have been in effect since midsummer on public lands managed by the Ukiah Field Office. (BLM news release) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2xn8f,3xn3,j3wt,eqjc,1bct,ijo3

Road Update: Gecko and Gray's Well Roads are Open for Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area

While the majority of the work is complete, there is still some work that needs to be completed. Over the next few weeks crews will be in the area finishing the last few items on their punch list. Thank you for your patience during this major improvement project! (Imperial Sand Dunes Facebook) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2xn8f,3xn3,3kh2,9ehf,1bct,ijo3

BLM AND DOI HIGHLIGHTS

Answering the Call: Interior Employees Respond to Hurricanes

The winds, rains, flooding and landslides of the 2017 hurricane season have been historic, but so have the generous and brave efforts of Department of the Interior employees. From ​the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico through Texas, Florida, the Southeast and other areas along the East Coast, hundreds of Interior employees are helping respond to the record-breaking devastation. (DOI blog)

Interior Department Supported $254 Billion in Economic Activity and Nearly 1.7 Million Jobs in FY 2016

U.S. Secretary of the Interior Ryan Zinke released the U.S. Department of the Interior’s Economic Report for Fiscal Year 2016. The report highlights that Interior activities supporting conventional and renewable energy, recreation, conservation, water energy supported $254 billion in economic output and nearly 1.7 million jobs during the year. National parks, refuges, monuments and other public lands managed by Interior hosted an estimated 473 million recreational visits in 2016—up from 443 million in 2015—these visits supported $50 billion in economic output and about 426,000 jobs nationwide. (DOI news release) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2xn8f,3xn3,d7uz,h0s2,1bct,ijo3

Urban Waters Team Wins "People's Choice" Public Service Award

The Urban Waters Federal Partnership, an interagency group in which the Department of the Interior is one of the leaders, has won the "People's Choice" award in the Service to America Medals. The nonprofit, nonpartisan Partnership for Public Service announced the award on September 27 at its annual gala popularly dubbed the "Oscars of Government Service." Out of 430 nominees, the Urban Waters Team was chosen by popular vote for making “the most admirable contribution to the American people.”​ The team works through public-private partnerships to clean up and revitalize urban waterways and surrounding lands. (DOI news release) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2xn8f,3xn3,gcrv,g5ye,1bct,ijo3

WILDLIFE QUESTION OF THE WEEK

Do California condors use the same nest each year?

Keep reading for answer below.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Now - January: Wild Horse and Burro Adoption Events

The BLM offers wild horses and burros for adoption or purchase at events across the country throughout the year. Upcoming wild horse and burro adoption events are planned into 2018. The most current adoption and purchase event schedule is provided on the BLM website. All times are in local time. Event information is shown in local time and subject to change without notice. Please call the Wild Horse and Burro Information Call Center at (866) 468-7826 for the most updated information. (BLM website) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2xn8f,3xn3,m1cz,j1wl,1bct,ijo3

Now - April 30: Santa Rosa and San Jacinto Mountains National Monument Announces Winter Visitor Center Schedule

As the Coachella Valley begins to move into the winter months, the Santa Rosa and San Jacinto Mountains National Monument Visitor Center will initiate its winter visitor center schedule. From October 1 to April 30, 2018, the visitor center will be open five days a week from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Thursday to Monday, and close on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. (BLM news release) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2xn8f,3xn3,fl5a,hiw2,1bct,ijo3

Save the date for a bird walk on October 9 and Monument night adventure on October 14! Details in above news release.

October 6-8: Norco Horse Affair

See you in City of Norco - Horsetown USA! BLM's Ridgecrest BLM Wild Horse and Burro Program Corrals will be participating in the Norco Horse Affair on October 6, 7 and 8. BLM will be bringing 10 burros and 20 wild horses for adoption. (Norco Horse Affair Facebook event)

Related: Meet the horses and burros (BLM California Facebook)

October 7: Volunteers Welcome at Byers Pass Road Trash Cleanup

Volunteers are welcome from 8 a.m. to noon, Saturday, October 7, to help the Bureau of Land Management cleanup public lands and collect trash near Byers Pass Road, southeast of Susanville. (BLM news release) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2xn8f,3xn3,7nqk,ji1,1bct,ijo3

October 7 and November 4: BLM Offers Point Arena-Stornetta Tours and Coastal Hikes

Join the Bureau of Land Management for a series of guided nature hikes along the coastal trail overlooking the Pacific Ocean at the Point Arena-Stornetta Unit of the California Coastal National Monument this fall. As stewards, the BLM manages a variety of recreation and visitor services across the nation, providing unique outdoor opportunities. The tours will focus on exploring the natural world, wildlife, native and invasive plants and teaching participants what they can do to protect habitat for endangered species, including the threatened western snowy plover and coho salmon, and endangered California red-legged frog, Point Arena mountain beaver and Behren’s silver spot butterfly. (BLM news release) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2xn8f,3xn3,7aax,agzn,1bct,ijo3

October 14: Fall Wild Horse Adoption

Join BLM and Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department to adopt inmate trained, saddle started mustangs on Saturday, October 14 in Elk Grove, California! (WHB website) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2xn8f,3xn3,4u2d,dq9k,1bct,ijo3

Related: Meet the horses (BLM California Facebook) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2xn8f,3xn3,cve0,2rn8,1bct,ijo3

October 16: BLM Asks Riders to Use Caution During Fort Sage Trail Repairs

On October 16, the Bureau of Land Management will begin repairing fire and flood damage to trails in the Fort Sage Off-Highway-Vehicle area in southern Lassen County. The BLM is asking riders to be careful in all sections of the OHV area. (BLM news release) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2xn8f,3xn3,4lo1,8ymk,1bct,ijo3

October 21: Annual Fall Colors Ride on Bizz Johnson National Recreation Trail

The Bureau of Land Management will offer a special fall colors bike ride and bike shuttle Saturday, October 21, on the Bizz Johnson National Recreation Trail near Susanville, as a great way to get some exercise and enjoy spectacular fall colors in the forest and the Susan River Canyon. (BLM news release) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2xn8f,3xn3,6ghr,m5ty,1bct,ijo3

October 28 and November 18: National Public Lands Day Events Near Palm Springs, California

BLM's Palm Springs-South Coast Field Office has a National Public Lands Day event for everyone! Save the date for five volunteer opportunities in Dulzura, Mountain Center, Morongo Valley, Desert Hot Springs and La Quinta, California. Contact the Palm Springs-South Coast Field Office at (760) 833-7100 for more information. (BLM California Facebook) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2xn8f,3xn3,4yjt,cuas,1bct,ijo3

November 6-9: Maintenance Scheduled for Amboy Crater Access Road

The Bureau of Land Management Amboy National Natural Landmark Recreation Area will be undergoing an asphalt surface treatment, cracks repair and sealing, and pavement markings of the area’s access road and parking lots from Nov. 6 to 9. The temporarily vehicular traffic road closure will help the BLM keep public landscapes healthy and productive, while ensuring public safety and increasing project efficiency. (BLM news release) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2xn8f,3xn3,2orr,m6yp,1bct,ijo3

November 11-12: Fee-Free Days on BLM-managed Public Lands

The unique and diverse natural landscapes and world-class visitor facilities on BLM-managed lands are among America’s greatest treasures, and most of these lands and waters are open for recreational use. Through the Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act, the BLM and other Federal agencies -- including U.S. Forest Service, the National Park Service, the Bureau of Reclamation, and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service -- collect recreation fees to maintain and improve the quality of visitor services and amenities. Visitors may purchase recreation passes that cover many recreation fees. On fee free days, recreation standard amenity and day use fees on Bureau of Land Management lands are waived. (BLM website) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2xn8f,3xn3,an8q,6w0l,1bct,ijo3

WILDLIFE QUESTION OF THE WEEK ANSWER

Do California condors use the same nest each year?

Sometimes. They typically nest in the same general area as condor pairs tend to establish a nesting territory. Pairs will sometimes use the same nest year after year but other times they will move the precise nest location within their territory from year to year.

Condors nest mainly in natural cavities or caves in cliffs, though they sometimes also use trees, such as coast redwood and, historically, the giant sequoia. (As the wild population grows, there is the possibility they may return to the sequoia groves in the Sierra Nevada.) Condors have multiple nesting sites and may switch sites between years. Females make the final decision on which nest location to use. (Live Video: Devils Gate California Condor Nest via USFWS) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2xn8f,3xn3,4hg5,bbnz,1bct,ijo3

News.Bytes is a publication of the Bureau of Land Management California.

Bureau of Land Management
California State Office
2800 Cottage Way, Suite W1623
Sacramento, Ca 95825