BLM California News.Bytes Issue 771

News.Bytes, Bureau of Land Management California

ISSUE 771 - JULY 26, 2017

- Heroes Week
- Headlines and Highlights
- BLM and DOI Highlights
- Wildlife Question of the Week
- Upcoming Events

HEROES WEEK

Video: American Heroes Week at Interior

Not all heroes wear a cape. At Interior, employees across the Department sometimes find themselves called to act in extraordinary circumstances. Interior employees step up to the challenge their job presents, often going above and beyond what is expected of them. In this video Secretary Ryan Zinke salutes the everyday heroes who -- through their determination and selflessness -- risk their lives in their jobs managing public lands, waterways, resources and visitors. (DOI video) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2vlfo,3xn3,ffl1,3yxp,1bct,ijo3

American Heroes: Employees step up to the challenge at Interior

You don’t have to wear a cape to be a hero. At the Interior Department, ordinary men and women sometimes find themselves called to act in extraordinary circumstances. Many have gone above and beyond their job descriptions. Some get recognized, and others spend their time quietly protecting the nation’s public and tribal lands, and those who visit them. (DOI blog) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2vlfo,3xn3,iesm,es1y,1bct,ijo3

#HeroesWeek: Exposing Youth to Conservation Careers

Nick's Interns was founded in 2004 by a local fam­ily in memory of their son who worked as a student at the King Range National Conservation Area (NCA). The program’s primary goal is to expose area youth to conservation careers through paid intern­ships in order to break cycles of poverty and drug abuse. This is achieved by offering them the experience, confidence and skills to get involved in community efforts to restore local watersheds as well as opportunities to explore resource management careers with government agencies. This year so far, interns have completed a number of projects to better public lands. (BLM California Facebook) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2vlfo,3xn3,lwd9,53hd,1bct,ijo3

>From the front lines to the fire lines, military veterans continue to serve in the BLM

This week we are celebrating heroes within the BLM! We want to thank all military veterans for their service and specifically recognize those BLM employees across the country in all of our BLM states who have served and continue to serve our country. The eight BLM veteran wildland fire crews are located in Arizona, Oregon, Nevada, California, Montana, South Dakota, Wyoming and Washington. The veteran crews are dedicated, first-rate fire crews who have transferred their love of public service to protecting America’s public lands. (BLM National Facebook) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2vlfo,3xn3,9f2b,gu2q,1bct,ijo3

Related: Meet the Folsom Lake Veterans' Fire Crew (BLM California Facebook) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2vlfo,3xn3,ep68,anbo,1bct,ijo3

BLM Firefighters Save Dozens of Endangered Pygmy Rabbits from Wildfire

BLM firefighters helped save dozens of endangered pygmy rabbits after a central Washington wildfire swept across a state-managed breeding ground last week. The Sutherland Canyon Fire, which has burned nearly 38,000 acres on both sides of the Columbia River south of Wenatchee, overran the controlled sagebrush breeding ground. (My Public Lands Tumblr) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2vlfo,3xn3,gedd,2uxn,1bct,ijo3

HEADLINES AND HIGHLIGHTS

Wildfires: Know Before You Go

Cal OES provides daily map updates for wildland fires across California. Also, Twitter is a great place to see the latest news and information about fires. Follow us @BLMca!

Current fire restrictions on public lands → on.doi.gov/2qcKS8p
Cal OES California wildland fire map via Esri → arcg.is/2tj6L7l
Wildland fire information via InciWeb → bit.ly/2siVOlO
Wildland fire information via CAL FIRE → bit.ly/2tqv43i
Defensible space information → bit.ly/2sobgZi

Most striking photos from the 2017 California fire season

2017 has been quite the year for wildfires in California. Just last week, a fire in Central California scorched 7,040 acres (11 square miles) in two days. According to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, the fire started near Lake McClure, a reservoir 50 miles east of Modesto. Another fire in Mendocino County grew to 900 acres and triggered an evacuation of homes on Monday. And in Santa Barbara County, fire crews are still battling an 18,000-acre (28-square-mile) blaze that has been burning for over a week. The fire has destroyed 16 homes so far. (SF GATE) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2vlfo,3xn3,1ouv,5h0p,1bct,ijo3

Video: Fire Prevention at the Fair

Camp Smokey at the California State Fair helps educate people on fire safety and wildland fire prevention. (ABC 10) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2vlfo,3xn3,gc6k,kedh,1bct,ijo3

Report: Northwest California communities see $41M boost from outdoor activity on fed lands

The hikers, bicyclists, hunters, fishermen and other outdoor enthusiasts who use Bureau of Land Management lands each year in northwest California are generating tens of millions of dollars and supporting hundreds of jobs in local communities, according to an ECONorthwest report released Thursday. Analyzing local economic and visitor data from 2015 — the most recent data available at the time — at the federal bureau’s Arcata and Redding field offices, the Pew Charitable Trusts-funded report states “quiet,” or nonmotorized, recreational activities on bureau lands have generated more than $41 million and supported hundreds of local jobs. (Times Standard News) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2vlfo,3xn3,ceb2,j7e1,1bct,ijo3

BLM AND DOI HIGHLIGHTS

#FindYourWay on America's Wild and Scenic Rivers

America’s rivers have long served as workhorses supporting the exploration, transportation systems, and industrial and agricultural development of our nation. In 1968 Congress passed the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act to ensure that some of our most cherished river segments are conserved in their natural, untamed state for us and for future generations, and next year marks the 50th anniversary of this landmark act. From placid canoe streams to rushing whitewater kayak runs, from icy trout-filled brooks to lazy cypress lined bayous, the system contains America’s best free-flowing waterways. There are 208 river segments in 40 states that are part of the system. (DOI blog)

BLM Proposes to Rescind Rule on Hydraulic Fracturing

As part of President Trump’s goal to reduce the burden of Federal regulations that hinder economic growth and energy development, the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) today announced in the Federal Register a proposal to rescind the 2015 final rule on hydraulic fracturing—a rule that was never in effect due to pending litigation.  The proposal includes the opportunity for public comment. (BLM News Release) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2vlfo,3xn3,ghzr,hx2u,1bct,ijo3

Interior Secretary Zinke Applauds Confirmation of David Bernhardt as Deputy Secretary of the Interior

Department of the Interior veteran David Bernhardt ​was confirmed by the U.S. Senate to serve ​as the Interior’s Deputy Secretary. ​He will be sworn-in in the coming days.​ “Finally, after months of waiting for confirmation in the Senate, I'm excited to welcome David Bernhardt back to the Department to serve as Interior's Deputy Secretary,” said Secretary Ryan Zinke. “David's extensive experience serving under previous Interior secretaries, his esteemed legal career, and down-right love of our land and resources is exactly what is needed to help streamline government and make the Interior and our public lands work for the American economy. I look forward to swearing him in and having him on board to help put America First.” (DOI News Release) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2vlfo,3xn3,506v,1t4b,1bct,ijo3

Video: Made in America, The All-American Outdoor Experience

Secretary of the Interior Ryan Zinke announces his intent to create a new advisory committee that will focus on expanding public-private partnerships on America's public lands. (DOI video) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2vlfo,3xn3,a7n3,1uk7,1bct,ijo3

2017 Total Solar Eclipse Viewing Tips

On Monday, August 21, 2017, millions of people across the United States will get to see one of nature’s most awe-inspiring sights -- a total solar eclipse. With wide-open spaces and low light pollution, public lands managed by Bureau of Land Management in Wyoming, Idaho and Oregon are the perfect place for viewing this rare event. (DOI blog) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2vlfo,3xn3,3x2p,18cr,1bct,ijo3

Related: Watch Solar Eclipse on Your Public Lands (BLM website) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2vlfo,3xn3,ayir,x2a,1bct,ijo3

Related: View the Eclipse (Travel Wyoming) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2vlfo,3xn3,17zs,gwca,1bct,ijo3

Related: Idaho’s Solar Eclipse: Camping in the Path of Totality (Visit Idaho) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2vlfo,3xn3,aqqq,ituy,1bct,ijo3

Related: Tips for planning a safe and enjoyable High Desert eclipse viewing (Oregon Natural Desert Association) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2vlfo,3xn3,7fdv,hlt7,1bct,ijo3

WILDLIFE QUESTION OF THE WEEK

What are baby scorpions called?

Keep reading for answer below.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Young Mustang Geldings up for Adoption at BLM Open House

Young mustang geldings, aged 3 to 5, will be available for adoption at a special open house at the Ridgecrest BLM Wild Horse & Burro Program Corrals, Thursday, August 10, to Saturday, August 12. The corrals are located at 3647-A Randsburg Wash Road in Ridgecrest, California. Please contact (760) 384-5765 or (800) 951-8720 for more information. (BLM News Release) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2vlfo,3xn3,frci,goii,1bct,ijo3

Now - January 2018: Wild Horse and Burro Adoption Events

The BLM offers wild horses and burros for adoption or purchase at events across the country throughout the year. Upcoming wild horse and burro adoption events are planned into 2018. The most current adoption and purchase event schedule is provided on the BLM website. All times are in local time. Event information is shown in local time and subject to change without notice. Please call the Wild Horse and Burro Information Call Center at (866) 468-7826 for the most updated information. (BLM website) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2vlfo,3xn3,4ixs,jby7,1bct,ijo3

September 30: National Public Lands Day

National Environmental Education Foundation's National Public Lands Day (#NPLD), sponsored by Toyota USA is the nation's largest, single-day volunteer effort for public lands. NPLD connects people to public lands in their community, inspires environmental stewardship and encourages use of public lands for education, recreation and general health. Bring your family, friends, students or coworkers to spend the day outdoors giving back to your community by pulling invasive species, maintaining trails, picking up trash and so much more. Stay tuned for more details. (BLM website) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2vlfo,3xn3,33kd,iyti,1bct,ijo3

September 30 and November 11-12: Fee-Free Days on BLM-managed Public Lands

The unique and diverse natural landscapes and world-class visitor facilities on BLM-managed lands are among America’s greatest treasures, and most of these lands and waters are open for recreational use. Through the Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act, the BLM and other Federal agencies -- including U.S. Forest Service, the National Park Service, the Bureau of Reclamation, and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service -- collect recreation fees to maintain and improve the quality of visitor services and amenities. Visitors may purchase recreation passes that cover many recreation fees. On fee free days, recreation standard amenity and day use fees on Bureau of Land Management lands are waived. (BLM website) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2vlfo,3xn3,8r1p,8q72,1bct,ijo3

October 6-8: Norco Horse Affair

See you in City of Norco - Horsetown USA! BLM's Ridgecrest BLM Wild Horse and Burro Program Corrals will be participating in the Norco Horse Affair on October 6, 7 and 8. BLM will be bringing 10 burros and 20 wild horses for adoption. (Norco Horse Affair Facebook event) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2vlfo,3xn3,6jd9,i7tz,1bct,ijo3

WILDLIFE QUESTION OF THE WEEK ANSWER

Scorplings! Scorpions are arthropods, they have eight legs, two pedipalps, and a tail with a venom-injecting barb. Scorpions have two venom glands that produce venom used in hunting and self defense. Scorpions do not have bones instead they have an exoskeleton made of chitin, which is similar to the shell of a shrimp.

Scorpions are found all across the world. There are over 2,000 different species found on six of the seven continents. They prey on insects, arthropods and in some cases small vertebrates. Because scorpions can live in such hash environments they have adapted the ability to slow their metabolism to as little as one-third the rate for most arthropods. This enables some species to use little oxygen and live on a single insect a year. Even with lowered metabolism, the scorpion has the ability to spring quickly to the hunt when the opportunity presents itself something that many hibernating species are unable to do. (Scorpion Sweepers)

News.Bytes is a publication of the Bureau of Land Management California.

Bureau of Land Management
California State Office
2800 Cottage Way, Suite W1623
Sacramento, Ca 95825