BLM California News.Bytes Issue 764

News.Bytes, Bureau of Land Management California

ISSUE 764 - MAY 4, 2017

- Recreation
- From the Field
- Headlines and Highlights
- BLM and DOI Highlights
- Wildlife Question of the Week
- Upcoming Events

RECREATION

May The 4th Be With You!

Once again, we celebrate Star Wars Day with photos from Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area in southern California. For years, Star Wars enthusiasts have ventured to Imperial Sand Dunes to visit the filming location of the opening scenes of Return of the Jedi. The Imperial Sand Dunes are the largest dune mass in California. Formed by windblown sands of ancient Lake Cahuilla, the dunes create an out-of-this-world landscape ideal for Hollywood film backdrops and are known as an off-roading mecca. (My Public Lands Tumblr) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2tc95,3xn3,draf,a7g7,1bct,ijo3

Related: Television crews film scifi series at Imperial Sand Dunes (KYMA News) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2tc95,3xn3,dkm2,g4da,1bct,ijo3

Rockhounding in the Mojave Trails National Monument

Rockhounding in southern California’s Mojave Trails National Monument is a way of life for 91-year-old rockhound, Bill Depue. From licking stones to hiking over geological wonders like ancient lava flows, rockhounding is an outdoor recreation opportunity that has thousands of visitors digging for treasure each year. Rockhounders are welcome to collect limited amounts of rocks, minerals and gemstones in the Monument in accordance with the BLM rock-collecting guidelines. (BLM California Facebook) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2tc95,3xn3,a1v,j3es,1bct,ijo3

Wildflower 'super bloom' springs in California

The Al Jazeera Network featured California's historic super bloom. (Al Jazeera English YouTube) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2tc95,3xn3,blax,391w,1bct,ijo3

The King Crest Trail a National Recreation Trail

Planning to make a visit to the King Range National Conservation Area, specifically the Lost Coast Trail? Please remember Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics Principles including "Dispose of Waste Properly." Pack it in, pack it out. Deposit solid human waste in catholes dug 6 to 8 inches deep, at least 200 feet from water, camp and trails. Cover and disguise the cathole when finished. (BLM California YouTube) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2tc95,3xn3,fw06,60iz,1bct,ijo3

3rd Annual #Canoemobile at Cosumnes River Preserve

About 700 elementary and middle school students from the Galt Joint Union Elementary School District, California, participated in Wilderness Inquiry’s third annual Canoemobile this week. Students paddled in 24-foot Voyageur canoes and participated in environmental education activities at Cosumnes River Preserve. Wilderness Inquiry’s Canoemobile program engages youth across the country in hands-on, outdoor learning experiences that are focused on academics and outdoor recreation. The Canoemobile program is collaboration with federal, state and local partners. (My Public Lands Instagram) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2tc95,3xn3,f8hq,9py0,1bct,ijo3

Related: Canoemobile on Facebook and Twitter http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2tc95,3xn3,5o8q,e1x1,1bct,ijo3 http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2tc95,3xn3,hbyt,hb6t,1bct,ijo3

It's the Start to Milky Way Season

>From March to May, the Milky Way is visible in the hours before sunrise. Later on, it will start to rise earlier, June through August are the best viewing times because the Milky Way is up most of the night. From September through November, the Milky Way is most visible in the hours after sunset. (BLM California Facebook) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2tc95,3xn3,ffei,kg2u,1bct,ijo3

Weekend Inspiration from one of many California Gems

The Iron Canyon Trail is a fun 4.5 mile trail that allows explorers a view of the Sacramento River Bend Outstanding Natural Area high above the canyon with very little climbing. It’s mostly single track with short sections of dirt road. This area demonstrates much of BLM's multiple use mission including, grazing, hiking, mountain biking, equestrian, fishing, birding, hunting, archaeology and more. (BLM California Facebook)

Follow us this weekend as we take over the @MyPublicLands Instagram to share stunning locations from your public lands in California! http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2tc95,3xn3,e4wy,hsmy,1bct,ijo3

FROM THE FIELD

Monitoring Erosion from the Sky

Superstar partners are always helpful in solving erosion problems. Doug Smith, Ph.D. helps the BLM monitor and assess erosion hazards at the Fort Ord National Monument using a drone and geographic mapping software. Doug is an expert in fluvial and coastal geology and has worked with the BLM at Fort Ord for nearly 15 years. (BLM California Facebook) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2tc95,3xn3,in7w,5i5h,1bct,ijo3

Meet the Scientists

As part of National Volunteer Week, Piedras Blancas Light Station, part of the California Coastal National Monument invited partners and local volunteers to "meet the scientists" who work on wildlife studies and species recovery projects at the Light Station. Scientific research has been an integral part of the Light Station’s history. (BLM California Facebook) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2tc95,3xn3,gnyj,89n,1bct,ijo3

Studying Phainopeplas

Among birds, it is extremely rare for individuals to breed in two distinct localities during the same season. Phainopeplas are unique in that they experience variation not only in the physical environment, but in the social context as well, which forces individuals to adjust their behavior to different levels of conspecific interaction... To determine the level of behavioral plasticity in phainopeplas, researchers first delineate the extent of population connectivity between the two breeding habitats. (BLM California Facebook) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2tc95,3xn3,ek7e,j3k9,1bct,ijo3

Did you know?

The oil and gas program in California is one of the more active in all of the western states, with 2013 onshore oil production figures ranking the State as the 3rd most productive state in the United States. BLM California is responsible for managing one of the most productive individual onshore leases in the lower 48 states, and four of the nation’s top seven producing oil fields are located in Kern County. As a general rule, California’s Federal production totals average approximately 8%-10% of California’s total oil and natural gas production. (BLM California Facebook) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2tc95,3xn3,fjl6,dk9z,1bct,ijo3

Tortoise Relocation onto Public Lands

The Bureau of Land Management authorized more than 1,500 desert tortoises be moved from military training areas at the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center Twentynine Palms to four pre-determined sites on BLM-managed public lands in the County of San Bernardino. This decision supports a joint effort with U.S. Department of Defense to support the expansion of military training activities as authorized in the 2014 National Defense Authorization Act. On Friday, April 21, the U.S. Marine Corps finished moving 926 desert tortoises to public lands. (BLM California Facebook) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2tc95,3xn3,e9tk,5sb6,1bct,ijo3

HEADLINES AND HIGHLIGHTS

National Volunteer Week

In 2016, the BLM volunteer program worked with more than 27,000 volunteers nationally, with their contributions nearing 1 million hours, or the equivalent of 542 work years. This service has an estimated value of roughly $22.5 million to the BLM. Public lands are a better place because of the wonderful volunteers that go out of their way to help care for them. Thank you for your service! (BLM website) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2tc95,3xn3,hxji,akpm,1bct,ijo3

Federal Interagency Communication Center recognized for Outstanding Performance by a Team

The Federal Interagency Communication Center (FICC) dispatches Bureau of Land Management, U.S. Forest Service, National Park Service and Bureau of Indian Affairs resources throughout nine counties in southern California. FICC was awarded for their work on the #BlueCutFire in August of 2016. (BLM California Facebook) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2tc95,3xn3,30mj,gyc1,1bct,ijo3

BLM Seeks Northern California District Resource Advisory Council Nominations

The Bureau of Land Management is seeking public nominations for five open positions on the Northern California Resource Advisory Council (RAC). The RAC works closely with BLM managers in Alturas, Arcata, Cedarville, Redding and Susanville, providing guidance on the full range of the BLM's responsibilities. As published in a notice in the Federal Register, the BLM will consider nominations until May 30. (BLM News Release) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2tc95,3xn3,fn1q,duk8,1bct,ijo3

BLM Seeks Desert District Advisory Council Nominations

The Bureau of Land Management's California Desert District is soliciting nominations from the public for five members of its California Desert Advisory Council to serve three-year terms. The council's 15 members provide advice and recommendations to the BLM on the management of more than 10 million acres of public lands in eight counties of Southern California. As published in a notice in the Federal Register, the BLM will consider nominations until May 30. The five positions to be filled are: one renewable energy industry, two public-at-large, and two elected officials. (BLM News Release) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2tc95,3xn3,5nfi,oat,1bct,ijo3

BLM AND DOI HIGHLIGHTS

7 Burning Questions: Wildfires & Public Lands

Fire is one of nature’s most powerful forces. While fire can be destructive, it can also be rejuvenating and a partner to the stewards of our nation’s public lands. Land management agencies like the Bureau of Land Management, the National Park Service, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the Bureau of Indian Affairs, and the U.S. Forest Service have fire program responsibilities on more than 700 million acres of lands across the country. Working with fire is just part of the job. (DOI blog) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2tc95,3xn3,10q3,1w5a,1bct,ijo3

Happy International Firefighters' Day to all! May 4, is a day to thank all firefighters for their extraordinary commitment, exceptional courage and for their selfless.

Month-to-month Wildfire Forecast

The National Interagency Fire Center (NIFC) released its month-to-month wildfire forecast maps for the entire country today. The full report says wildfire season will move into the Pacific Northwest and the Northern Rockies by mid-to-late July. While wildfire conditions are expected to be normal at lower elevations, the transition could be slower at higher elevations due to the abundant snowpack accumulation, according to the report. (NIFC website) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2tc95,3xn3,gbap,gur0,1bct,ijo3

Related: National Predictive Services Program (BLM California Facebook) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2tc95,3xn3,lvbg,cbp9,1bct,ijo3

Winners of the 2016 Share the Experience Photo Contest

Share the Experience gives amateur photographers the chance to showcase their skills by capturing the beauty of the nation’s public lands and waters. The Grand Prize photograph will appear on the 2018 America the Beautiful Federal Recreation Lands Pass and earns the photographer $10,000. Winners are also named in other categories including Historic, Adventure, Night Skies, Scenic, Wildlife and Fan Favorite. Interior's Instagram account showcases stunning photos of America’s public lands and frequently features contest submissions. (DOI Photo Gallery) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2tc95,3xn3,cx0p,8pvm,1bct,ijo3

WILDLIFE QUESTION OF THE WEEK

Fill in the blank:

______________ are small mammals with flat, wedge-shaped bodies, broad feet with long claws and coarse hair that can be black, brown, gold or white. They are related to ferrets, minks, otters, weasels and wolverines. All of these animals are members of Mustelidae, the largest family in the order Carnivora.

Keep reading for answer below.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Now - January 2018: Wild Horse and Burro Adoption Events

The BLM offers wild horses and burros for adoption or purchase at events across the country throughout the year. Upcoming wild horse and burro adoption events are planned into 2018. The most current adoption and purchase event schedule is provided on the BLM website. All times are in local time. Event information is shown in local time and subject to change without notice. Please call the Wild Horse and Burro Information Call Center at (866) 468-7826 for the most updated information. (BLM website) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2tc95,3xn3,3bwh,1vwi,1bct,ijo3

May 6, 13 and 27: Bureau of Land Management Guided Hikes Planned for April/May in Pine Hill Preserve

The Bureau of Land Management’s Pine Hill Preserve, located in the Cameron Park area, El Dorado County, will offer three guided-plant tours and a bird tour in April/May in different areas of the preserve. The tours, led by volunteer naturalists, are free and open to the public. There is a limit of 25 participants per plant tour and 20 participants for the bird tour. Each plant tour will focus on the diverse and rare plants growing within the chaparral and oak woodland ecosystems. (BLM News Release) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2tc95,3xn3,5jxa,alhp,1bct,ijo3

May 7: Birding Hike at Fort Ord National Monument

Fort Ord National Monument is a local treasure with a rich natural and cultural history. Expert birder and Bureau of Land Management volunteer, David Styer will lead a driving/ light hiking tour exploring the Monument searching for birds in habitats such as rare maritime chaparral, oak woodland and native grassland. BLM Botanist, Bruce Delgado will help host the trip on Sunday, May 7 from 7:30 a.m. to noon. Group is limited to 15 so please RSVP to Shawn Wagoner via email (preferred) at swagoner@xxxxxxxxx or call (925) 487-7335.

September 30: National Public Lands Day

National Environmental Education Foundation's National Public Lands Day (#NPLD), sponsored by Toyota USA is the nation's largest, single-day volunteer effort for public lands. NPLD connects people to public lands in their community, inspires environmental stewardship and encourages use of public lands for education, recreation and general health. Bring your family, friends, students or coworkers to spend the day outdoors giving back to your community by pulling invasive species, maintaining trails, picking up trash and so much more. Stay tuned for more details. (BLM website) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2tc95,3xn3,535j,ikzg,1bct,ijo3

September 30 and November 11-12: Fee-Free Days on BLM-managed Public Lands

The unique and diverse natural landscapes and world-class visitor facilities on BLM-managed lands are among America’s greatest treasures, and most of these lands and waters are open for recreational use. Through the Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act (REA), the BLM and other Federal agencies -- including U.S. Forest Service, the National Park Service, the Bureau of Reclamation, and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service -- collect recreation fees to maintain and improve the quality of visitor services and amenities. Visitors may purchase recreation passes that cover many recreation fees. On fee free days, recreation standard amenity and day use fees on Bureau of Land Management lands are waived. (BLM website) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2tc95,3xn3,labq,81dq,1bct,ijo3

October 6, 7 and 8: Norco Horse Affair

See you in City of Norco - Horsetown USA! BLM's Ridgecrest BLM Wild Horse and Burro Program Corrals will be participating in the Norco Horse Affair on October 6, 7 and 8. BLM will be bringing 10 burros and 20 wild horses for adoption. (Norco Horse Affair Facebook event) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2tc95,3xn3,gpe0,ivmy,1bct,ijo3

WILDLIFE QUESTION OF THE WEEK ANSWER

Badgers are small mammals with flat, wedge-shaped bodies, broad feet with long claws and coarse hair that can be black, brown, gold or white. They are related to ferrets, minks, otters, weasels and wolverines. All of these animals are members of Mustelidae, the largest family in the order Carnivora. (LiveScience, Facts about Badgers)

News.Bytes is a publication of the Bureau of Land Management California.

Bureau of Land Management
California State Office
2800 Cottage Way, Suite W1623
Sacramento, Ca 95825
(916) 978-4600
www.blm.gov/ca/

Send Comments to the News.Bytes Team | Subscribe to News.Bytes | View our Privacy Policy