latest gentoo and speakup

An excellent distro for speakup users to avoid.  Anyone foolish enough to
try will discover the most difficult task with that distribution will be
to get the screen reader working.  I know of three users who got gentoo
installed on much earlier versions and I have decided to never touch this
distro again in this life.  Maybe in one of my next lives if I come out
sighted I might do something with gentoo.
Maybe anaconda-kickstart can install gentoo with speakup working but I'd
not like to bet any money on that.
I suspect pencil whipping happened with accessibility testing of the
latest version if accessibility testing happened at all.
Pencil whipping happens when the kernel is checked for speakup and if
found passes the test.
Real accessibility testing happens when a system is booted up and speakup
is enabled after booting with documented procedures.
Maybe speakup is also enabled during boot with documented procedures as
well.  The number of seconds until the boot prompt comes up on particular
hardware would be part of such documentation for an accessibility tester.
In either case, gentoo would start speaking what comes up on the screen at
least at the root prompt if not before.  Failure on that level and
accessibility test fails.
I spent over a week trying to get gentoo talking and couldn't do it.
Maybe it needs the C.I.A. with some of John Yew's enhanced interrogation
techniques to get that done.

--
 Jude <jdashiel at panix dot com>
 soap, ballot, jury, and ammo.