re: change timezone

Jude,
Now I am confused by the laptop lacking hardware comment..freely owning I might be missing something here. Every computer I have ever owned, laptop or desktop contains a battery that has the role of keeping some baseline functions going like the clock. Sometimes its failing is a hint at greater problems, like a motherboard or battery quality..but it keeps the time.
Some too can draw time information if requested.
Still, the ability to set time and date are so basic to computer use I am kind of amazed it is a complex program in Linux..why?

Especially given how many Linux distributions run servers and other data and information related services?
Karen