Re: is there a command line Reddit tool?

Hello,
so, the situation is like this. After Reddit API changes, now, the API
still exists, but is throttled, I believe 10 requests per minute without
API key and 100 with API key, or somewhere around those numbers, see the
Reddit API sites for exact numbers.
This is why mainstream Teddit instances that did not use an API key were
throwing 429 quite often. Not always, but often.
And that's also the reason I like i.opnxng.com, it's an inconspicuous
domain that almost nobody has been using, so getting 429 there has
always been pretty rare.
However, it's not the only problem. Reddit also from time to time
decides to arbitrarily block a Teddit instance after it had been used
for a while, that's when you get the 403 errors. But this is actually a
temporary thing that's IP dependent, so if you change either the
address/instance or just wait few days, it will start working again.
If you setup your own localhost instance, which is super-easy to do if
you have docker, then you can just use some kind of proxy or whatever
and it's rather easy to workaround.
Eventually, Teddit also has an active Reddit API key. When it's used,
the instance won't get blocked. Originally, this key had been used by
the main teddit.net website, and was discouraged from being used for
production purposes by other people, who were supposed to generate their
own keys instead.
However, I'm not quite sure if this is still possible to do, it used to
be a mostly automated process, now you need to apply for an API key and
get approved for it like an app developer according to the docs, what
doesn't really make sense as fighting third-party apps was the reason of
halting the API in the first place.
I make use of the API key occassionally, when opnxng gets blocked and
I'm lazy to setup a proxy. The main Teddit website is down for quite a
some time by now, so it's unlikely that anyone uses it anyway.
However, I always get back to opnxng as soon as it's available again in
order to avoid overusing the key and getting it cancelled, that would be
a pity.

So, yes, the situation with teddit, libreddit (l.opnxng.com btw) and
other Reddit frontends is a bit complicated, but they still work, so I'm
not complaining. :)

Best regards

Rastislav

Dňa 26. 3. 2024 o 8:43 Jace Kattalakkis napísal(a):