Re: Semantic Digital Audio Memory: A cognitive aid to boost the capabilities of your memory

Hello Janina,
thanks for the awesome feedback!
Yes, using the soundcard loopback as the audio source is definitely
something I would like to implement, exactly for the reasons you
mention. Right now the situation over sound IO is bit... interesting,
since Windows has apparently a different logic of approaching computer
audio (what sense does it make to have the microphone enforce a
different sampling rate than speakers? ?? )
But I absolutely want to get into it, as soon as I figure out a
non-messy way to deal with Microsoft ideas.

By the way, when it comes to controlling SDAM, I got quite inspired by
the keyboard layout introduced by Orca flat review.
I.E. you have three controlling triplets of keys - UIO, JKL and M Comma
Dot, the top-one controls rate, the middle lets you seek and pause/play,
while the bottom-one allows you to control markers.
You can either focus the next/previous (relative to the last focused),
the next/previous closest one (i.e. relative to your position) and you
can also jump to the last focused marker by pressing Ctrl+Comma, or move
it to the current playback position or assign it a label.

Regarding audio editing, this is an interesting topic. I absolutely do
want to introduce some forms of edits, for example, automatic silence
removal. That could be very useful, since at least on math classes,
there are often rather large portions of nothing while the professor is
writing down formulas, proofs, or while the students calculate an
assignment on the chalkboard during exercise classes.

However. SDAM is, in its core idea, supposed to work like human memory.
What does that mean in practice? Right now, when you have a recording
from which you do a transcript, you have two different resources, which
are describing the same thing, but otherwise they're mostly independent
and you treat them like linear resources (that means, if you want to
find something, you skim through from left to right or from top to bottom).
However, human memory works differently. Human memory is a network
connecting thoughts, transcripts and audio cues. If you listened to
let's say a podcast about Jupyter notebooks accessibility and there was
a part dealing with Orca, in your mind, you don't need to speed-listen
to the whole event nor roll your eyes/ears through the transcript to get
to the Orca part, you can simply bring yourself in your imagination
directly to the Orca related stuff, no detours necessary.

And this is basically also my vision for SDAM. To make it create a
network of audio, meanings and texts, where you could easily move
directly to the relevant parts of whichever resource you're interested in.

Therefore, yes, I do get what you mean by excluding the formal social
parts, etc. and it is something that may be possible to do eventually,
however, if I manage to fulfil the SDAM as I imagine it to be, then
these operations basically shouldn't be necessary, since you should
never need to be skimming through them unles you would explicitly want
to. Similar to how you don't need to delete them from your brain and can
still work with your memories efficiently.

Markers are one piece of puzzle for achieving this goal, but not the
only-one, there are more that should eventually build up the network, in
the form I currently am imagining them to be, most should operate either
completely automatically or, fit to the routine you already do while
transcribing.

To be honest, I'm myself curious where this goes and what is possible to
achieve.

Best regards

Rastislav

Dňa 20. 3. 2024 o 12:55 Janina Sajka napísal(a):