Re: Something small to install Linux on.

Hello,

but, unfortunatelly, in Raspbian there is no way to use Mate desktop and Orca in the system is pretty old.

Vojta.

Dne 25. 01. 24 v 16:23 Tim Chase napsal(a):
Tim here, responding in-line:

How much storage do I need?

That's a bit like asking how long a piece of string you need.  It
depends on what you're doing with it.  The base Raspbian operating
system should fit in a couple gigabytes (I think it fits on a 2GB
card last time I checked), however that doesn't leave much room for
*your* files.  If you use some other Raspberry Pi distribution,
you'd want to take into consideration its base image-size.

That said, an 8GB card should be plenty big-enough, and I see 64GB
SD cards for under $10.  However, note that the *speed* is likely
more important than the space since SD cards can be a bit slow.  I
have some older 4GB cards that are slower than class-10 and they
are *painful* to run from.  Also, buy a reputable brand from a
reputable vendor.  There are a LOT of rubbish cards out there that
report large sizes but only have some minimal capacity and you don't
find that out until seve3ral months down the road.

And how many usb-ports are there on the 400?

There are two USB 3.0 ports and one USB 2.0 (all USB-A form-factor)

And there's also a USB-C port for power-supply.

Does it support Bluetooth and Wifi?

Yes, it has Bluetoogh 5.0 with BLE, and Wifi

You can read the full specs here

https://www.raspberrypi.com/products/raspberry-pi-400/specifications/

I don't know what your accessibility-preferences are, but it might
be important to note that it doesn't have an audio-out jack (standard
3mm headphone jack). So you intend to use TTS rather than Braille
or a screen-magnifier, you would either need to get an HDMI-to-headphone
adapter or a USB audio device (I picked one up recently for under
$10).

Additionally, I wrote up a detailed description identifying the
ports and keyboard layout, and Mike posted it here:

http://www.raspberryvi.org/pages/guides/board-description.html#model-400

in case you want the nitty-gritty for familiarizing yourself with
the unit.

Hopefully this helps,

-tim