Re: Linux e-readers do they exist?

Karen Lewellen stammered and stuttered:
I cannot use Linux, no driver exists for my synthesis.

But yes, I just told you that the driver does exist and I have it
working on several machines, including the Raspberry Pi. In fact,
DECTalk has worked on Linux for many years, it has only been a year or
two though that the source code has been available so that no one needs
to spend a large amount of money to get the software. Perhaps there is
some effort (a source code build that has been simplified into the
./configure && make && sudo make install method) needed to get it
working, but it does in fact work. Unfortunately, due to the licensing
still being recorded as proprietary, even though the developers of the
voices themselves have published the source code, it would not be
possible to ship Stormux with DECTalk speaking out of the box. This is
however something that can be made for you at little to no cost, or you
could also build the source code and install the software onto the
MicroSD you intend to use in the Pi. In any case, this is not a
non-existing driver that prevents you from using Linux, but rather an
artificial limitation put in place by the copyright holders who have for
all intents and purposes dropped off the face of the planet, or at least
are not fully known to be able to get full permission from them to
package it and ship it with distributions. Of course due to the fact
that the source code is now published, it is very much possible to work
around this limitation and get your favorite Linux speaking with a
synthesizer that works for you on any machine.

Further, I asked specifically for Linux based e-readers that can
incorporate dectalk speech, because I already know other synthesis
that I have  tried can cause the physical harm.

This is why I said that I have DECTalk speaking here. I use it not
because others cause me physical harm, but because I have come to very
much like the way it sounds for some reason. I guess for me it is just
that it sounds less glued together and muddled than other synthesizers.
In any case, you mentioned it specifically, so I told you that I have it
working.

The idea of claiming  that a device works  for the blind as a whole,
but providing  only one means of input that 90% of the blind do not
use,  is frankly stunning.

Well, for one thing, I am blind, but I don't classify myself among the
blind, meaning that I am human, not a number, a statistic, or heaven
forbid, a disability, or as I prefer to call it, a disperception. Still,
I never said anything about the braille input thing. As a matter of
fact, I am the one who objected to the cost on the grounds that it is
insane to take a $55 to $75 computer, stuff it into something that has
only 7 buttons on it and turn around and set a price for the unit at 15
to 20 times the price of the original computer, especially when the
input interface doesn't work for many people who are blind or visually
impaired. I in fact mentioned the Raspberry Pi 400 specifically, as it
is built into a standard typing keyboard that I would say at least 95%
of us use on an everyday basis, and I only spent $150 or so to put it
together into a fully functional screenless laptop computer that I can
cary anywhere. Oh yes, and I have the lovely DECTalk speaking on it
beautifully.

I am being specific about my needs to avoid exchanges like this where
someone shares that since something works for them, it will work for
me, when in fact it might likely put me in Hospital.

No one said that because something works for them that it would
definitely work for you. You asked specific questions, and a couple of
us gave specific answers to those questions, because since these things
work for us, it is our hope that it may possibly help you. On the
specific topic of DECtalk working and speaking on a Linux computer,
despite the fact that your responses are coming across, at least to me,
as unnecessarily unkind and even rude, I will volunteer to send you a
link to download an image of Stormux set up with DECTalk speaking right
out of the box if you should decide to purchase a Raspberry Pi 400
computer to run it. I have it working for me rather nicely, so it is my
hope that maybe it will be able to help you as it helps me, or if not,
at least it can help someone.

~Kyle