Re: a question about email clients?

Tim here.  There are a number of parts involved in email, and
managing the email depends on any/all of those bits.  Beware, a bit
of a flood of info falls below (you've never known me to be anything
but prolix)

On the user-facing end of things, you have your "mail user agent"
(MUA).  This either stores mail locally to where it's running or
it access a remote folder-structure via IMAP (or, if you're stuck
with Microsoft, they created their own MAPI protocol just to make
it hard to interoperate).  If you keep your mail locally, you can
either fetch it from a remote machine (usually via POP3), optionally
deleting it from that remote machine; or you can just have a local
cache with the authority being kept on the remote mailserver,
accessed via IMAP.  Mail can be kept locally in a number of common
formats, but most frequently you'll find "mbox" (a single file acts
as a folder holding all the messages) and "Maildir" (each message
is in its own file) formats.

Email management can happen either on the mail-server itself where
the admin might define rules like "mail coming from this server is
always spam, just delete it before users ever even see it"; or mail
management can happen in the local MUA where you can manually
move/copy/delete messages, or set up filters to run (automatically
or manually) to take some of the druge-work out of it.

When you send mail, some programs just submit to the local system
utilities for sending mail and let it worry about getting the mail
to the other end.  Other times your MUA talks directly to a mail-server
via SMTP to send mail.  Since it involves mail-servers talking to
other mail-servers, so either side can institute management decisions
in the process.

It sounds like you're SSHing into a remote machine and running
Alpine there where it talks directly to the Gmail servers via IMAP
(where the mail remains on Google's servers).

Gmail does some internal IMAP trickery to present each label as an
IMAP folder, so deleting a message from a label-folder is more like
removing the label; and copying a file to a label-folder is like
adding a label.  Though it should still have some common-type folders
(there's no standardized naming) like "Trash" or "Deleted Items",
"Junk" or "Spam", "Drafts" or "Queue", etc.

So when you ask "which system matters?" they all do in a way.

However, message *sorting* (the order in which they're presented;
different from filtering or categorizing) is usually a MUA thing.
The Gmail web interface might sort one way (IIRC it does a top-level
priority-based sort, and then sorts by a user-defined method inside,
such as by received-date or thread) while Alpine (or mutt/neomutt
or aerc or Thunderbird or whatever) should be able to sort by
whatever aspects you prefer (date, recipient, thread, etc).

Hopefully that makes sense?

-tim