a question about email clients?

Hi All,
Going  to ask this carefully, so as to avoid confusion.
Given that there are different email clients, alpine, Thunderbird, and the like, what actually determines how email gets managed, the client, or the source? there is a member of the greater Toronto Linux users group who has set up a mail server where I use alpine to access gmail. However, because he has never used alpine, nor has he used basic html in gmail, he is basing the expected sorting on the standard gmail process. that process does not use folders at all, but labels apparently. as a result,there are things I imagine alpine expects to find which is not here. We are using imap for gmail, but my personal experience of imap, based on dreamhost, still has a mail folder with saved messages, sent mail, postponed messages probably spam etc.
and an imap folder which has other elements unique to dreamhost.

I would guess Thunderbird has its own sorting system.
My question is this.
If you are using imap for gmail, or yahoo mail or whatever, in a client like alpine or Thunderbird which system matters, the source where the email comes from, or the client you are using?
Hope question is clear,
Karen