Re: Regex for spaces

Glad to, Rob!

-p '^\s*(\S+)\s*$' -r '$1'

^ anchor to beginning of string
\s* zero or more space characters
(\S+) one or more non-space characters, parentheses capture this as $1
$ anchor to end of string

be sure to use the -d option first to make sure you're
getting what you want. I didn't test this.

The classic 'rename' perl script is almost the same,
but does not recurse through directories for you (you'd have
to use 'find' for that'). The search and replace expressions
are separated by slashes. '-n' is for simulate only.

rename -n 's/^\s*(\S+)\s*$/$1/' [filenames here]

Have fun!

On Tue, Nov 21, 2023 at 09:34:45AM -0600, 'Rob Hudson' via blinux-list@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I am not good with regexes at all. They give me a headache lol. Can anyone supply me a regex that will remove any trailing spaces in front or at the end of a file name? I use the program brename:
> https://github.com/shenwei356/brename/
> I have a regex to remove double spaces, but now I need one that will knock off leading and trailing.
> Thanks for any help.
>
> --

Joel Roth