Re: command line tool for this task?

Tim here.  Yep, assuming you use mail(1) to read your mail and have
it configured to send mail for you, you should be able create a
template and send mail by creating a shell-script like

$ cat send_thanks.sh
#!/bin/sh
EMAIL="$1"
SUBJECT="$2"
NAME="$3"
GIFT="$4"
mail -s "$SUBJECT" "$EMAIL" <<EOF
Dear, $NAME,
Thank you for the $GIFT you gave us.
Sincerely,
Karen
EOF

With this, you can invoke it with

  $ ./send_thanks.sh donor@xxxxxxxxxxx "We love the bucket of cash" "John & Mary Donorston" "big bucket of cash"

and it will send an email to "donor@xxxxxxxxxxx" with a subject of
"We love the bucket of cash", and the body of the email will read

  Dear, John & Mary Donorston,
  Thank you for the big bucket of cash you gave us.
  Sincerely,
  Karen

Here's hoping it helps,

-tim