Re: Intro.

Hello Billy,

yes, it is perfectly possible to run Ubuntu and Windows in parallel,
back in the time when I was beginning with Linux, this was my goto
strategy, as I wanted to have a working backup Windows system in case I
needed anything.

Originally I wanted to try Linux just for a month, a little while back,
the third year of my one month trial period has passed. :D

In the end, I booted the Windows instance like once or twice when I
needed to compile some programs for Windows users, so I eventually
deleted it, as a VM has been more than enough to satisfy my needs.

Though, if you do have things you can do only from Windows, then having
a real windows installation is something I definitely recommend, doing
any serious work in a VM is rather inconvenient.

I see many recommendations in this thread regarding terminals, console
environments etc.

My personal, subjective advice though, would be to just go with a
standard GUI system like Ubuntu Mate.

Linux is an indefinitely flexible system, unlike Windows or MacOS, which
you see in one consistent, ubiquitous form, you will see Linux developed
and distributed in countless shapes, forms and variations.

As you may already know, the term Linux in fact doesn't name the whole
operating system, Linux is just an OS kernel developed by Linus
Torvalds, but while this component is crucial and very complex part of
an OS, a complete system embraces far more than that, kernel is
something you actually don't even get to see as an user, because
everything you communicate with (the desktop environment, mouse,
keyboard, audio, etc.) are just additions on top of this core element.

I like to use an analogy of Linux kernel being an organic heart. Heart
is a crucial part for every animal, but it's not the only-one and
in-fact, you usually won't even get to see the heart of a living
creature, what you see and interact with are body, limbs, some humans
have brains, etc.

It's similar with Linux. Developers take the core, surround it with
software, shell and functionality they want, and release the package as
something you can install on your hardware (computer, mobile phone etc.)
That's why it's called linux distribution.

And it's also the source of the flexibility. You will see distributions
reminding Windows / mac, not in graphical design, but in the philosophy
of a full-GUI system.

But there are also distributions without GUI, that use just terminal,
there are distributions you can access only remotely through a web
browser, there are distributions specialized for running on USB keys, in
sandboxes, in computational clusters etc. etc. etc.

This ecosystem is something you'll likely as a member of Linux community
get to love after some time.

However, making use of it requires some knowledge I myself did not have
when coming to the open platform, so while I did have an idea what is it
capable of, even as a developer, I was by no means prepared to handle
the full power of the Linux world.

A stable GUI system provides more than enough opportunities for one to
familiarize themselves with the concepts of Linux terminal, filesystem,
package management, individual components that make up the OS,
everything at a calm pace and, importantly, on a route where nothing
breaks, and most of the things don't require reading through a pile of
books and manpages (man is a short version of manual, in case you
wondered) to setup.

That's just my personal take

Best regards

Rastislav

Dňa 5. 10. 2023 o 8:53 Linux for blind general discussion napísal(a):