Re: mtg: A utility for toggling the monitor state on Linux

Hello Chime,

that's a very interesting question. Honestly, I have no idea.

mtg uses xrandr under the hood, that's an X11 program for configuring
display output.

So I would guess it applies only iff X is active.

Which is probably not the case in a pure console environment.

Though, in these instances, I wonder what do these interfaces actually
use for talking to the monitor, I mean, they still need to draw the
content somehow even if it's just a text.

And, if there would be a way to control this usage from mtg, preferably
without root privileges, and without breaking anything.

If it turned out there is an approach that could be used, implementation
in mtg should be trivial, the program is designed in such a way to allow
easy covering of various display setups, specifically with future
Wayland support in mind.

As for compilation, it's a standard Rust program, after running cargo
build --release -q, the output should be located in ./target/release

Best regards

Rastislav

Dňa 23. 6. 2023 o 20:38 Linux for blind general discussion napísal(a):