Beep on Backspace in Console Sessions

Dear All:

I'm wondering whether it's still supported in alsa?

Yes, in ancient history, with speakers in the computer case just for a
beep on backspace, the old pcskpr module did the trick.

Then those speakers disappeared, but alsa-lib gave us an snd-beep module
(as I recall). I'm not find that module these days, and I'm wondering
wheter it's just not getting compiled for some reason? Or has it really
been dropped.

I know most fot the sighted world hates that beep on backspace. That's
partly why it's quite hard to google for this question. I don't mind if
it's off by default, but it should be something those of us who find it
beneficial should be able to turn on, imo.

Anyone know.

Just to be clear, I'm talking standard old fashioned text consoles, not
the terminal sessions under Gnome or Mate. Those work fine.

Janina

--

Janina Sajka (she/her/hers)
Accessibility Consultant https://linkedin.com/in/jsajka