Looking for a Good Way of Dealing with Accidently Deleted Files?

Hi All: After many years of impulsive mistakes on my part, as well as other insodents, I would like to have a better way of recovering from these. As an ideal solution, I would like to alias a "del" command so files are moved to a scratch location for 6 hours, which would be more than enough time for me to realize I was impulsive about wild-cards. I am in TCSH Debian SID. At least years ago in DOS I could run an undelete command, it would ask for a first letter to fillin. Also, years ago when I was on PrimeNet, we could cd in to a "snapshot" directory where everything would still be around. My Linux expert says at 1 point we tried a similar solution of butter fs but he says I didn't like it as it was filling up my hard-drive. Seemingly just keeping deleted files around for 6 hours would be a perfect solution. We are also planning on upgrading hard-drives on a local backup server. Thanks so much in advance for suggestions.
Chime