Re: [orca] Odilia, the new Linux screenreader written in Rust, reaches 0.1.0 (fwd)

Orca is indoubtebly an amazing project, with a lot of good work behind it.

Though, as great as the final product is, there are certain limitations.

The screenreader is written in a language that can take eternity just to
finish a loop, and is not capable of true concurrency. I'm not
criticizing Python here, I use it myself and love the language, I'm just
saying using it for performance critical tasks has its caveats.

Rust is from ground up designed for high performance and parallel
computing. That's why I'm personally very excited to see these strengths
used for accessibility, they could yield very interesting results.

Odilia also handles input devices differently, and aims for supporting
touch screens in the future. That's also a very interesting feature,
especially now, as Linux mobile phones are on a rise.

We'll see how the project goes, and what results we get. But it's
certainly a very interesting and impressive work, that fully deserves
attention.

Best regards

Rastislav

Dňa 23. 3. 2023 o 12:26 Linux for blind general discussion napísal(a):