Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 11:12:05
From: Rastislav Kish <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: orca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [orca] Odilia, the new Linux screenreader written in Rust,
    reaches 0.1.0

Hello everyone,

technically, this should perhaps be a little bit off-topic for this
list, but given its importance, I consider it very actual.

When I found out few months ago someone started building a screenreader
in Rust for Linux, my first thought was this has to be an abandoned
project. But I checked its history and GitHub activity, and to my big
surprise, I found out the project is not just alive, but actually very
serious about its goal!

Since then, I've been watching their repos, and I was really impressed
with the work being done!

What is this all about? As you may have heard, Rust is a popular new
middle-level programming language, which thanks to its innovative
design, makes it easy to write very performant, fast and secure
programs. Many pieces of software ranking from system components to
applications have been recently rewritten to Rust and seen significant
performance & safety improvements, Rust is now often the choice of
developers for projects that would previously had been written in C/C++,
but can now benefit from Rust's impressive safety and stability.

Well, and now, accessibility developers want to bring the power of Rust
to Linux accessibility, building a screenreader in Rust.

After finishing with prototypes in the February of the previous year and
starting the project from scratch, Odilia finally reaches 0.1.0:

https://odilia.app/news/release_0-1-0/

This release is not by any means meant to be on par with Orca in terms
of features, just very elementary things are implemented right now.

Building a screenreader from scratch is a herculean task, requiring
colossal effort, knowledge and, time.

Therefore, this release is aimed for early users, willing to try new
things and provide constructive feedback. There is still a lot of work
to do, until Odilia grows into a full-fledged Orca competent.

Nevertheless, it's still a very impressive work, and I wish the project
a lot of success. If I'm not mistaken, right now, Linux is the only
system in the world that has a Rust screenreader!

Best regards

Rastislav