Re: twitter alternatives for blind users

Devin Prater staggered into view and mumbled:

Thank goodness for Mastodon lol

Problem is I heard that many of the Mastodon front ends were either going away or being dropped as well. And Mastodon tends to suffer from some pretty heavy-handed moderation that results in public servers being blacklisted if someone says something the main admins disagree with and it gets by local mods. This is why I prefer Pleroma, Friendica and others. They are mostly or entirely Mastodon compatible, many implement the ActivityPub protocol more fully than does Mastodon, and moderation of course does exist, but it's left up to server operators and users to police themselves, rather than some trigger-happy mods at the directory level. I know for example that Friendica has a pretty extensive blocklist for servers and users that I may find abusive or objectionable, and I believe Pleroma also handles this at the user and server levels. Not sure about GoToSocial or Honk, a couple of other ActivityPub/Mastodon-compatible servers I've looked into recently. All of these are easier to set up if you're trying to run your own server with the latest software as well. I've been following a fairly new Pleroma user, and he said that setting it up was pretty much a breeze. Friendica is also quite easy to get going, as was Honk in my experience. The best thing is that most Mastodon client apps I tried work quite well with Friendica and Pleroma. I didn't try them with Honk, though neither Honk nor Friendica have polls, which I do find useful.

~Kyle