Re: check for existence of file

> How does fossil do compared to git?

Tim here.  Regarding large objects, Fossil doesn't fare much better.
Git has some plugins such as the large-file storage option that
allows you to refer to a single external source of large binary
blobs without having to pull them all down locally, and I've not
seen any similar plugin for Fossil.  That said, I can only report
based on the experience I've heard from others.  All my git & fossil
repos are largely just text/code so they are comparatively tiny.

Outside of large files, both have similar functionality and
performance, but slightly differing philosophies.  Fossil tends to
treat history as sacred, actively making it difficult to rebase a
series of changes (you can do it by creating a new branch and then
manually cherry-picking the commits from the original dev branch)
which grates against me sometimes.  But I also love that fossil
comes with a built-in wiki & issue-tracker.

That said, there's a lot more documentation out there for git, so
it's what I tend to use by default.

-tim