slack in Ubintu?

Hi folks,
I amend speaking of the Linux distribution, but the messaging and communication platform. Anyone have first hand experience using the program in Linux generally, or a Ubuntu shell specifically? I understand there used to be an IRC client, but that the company no longer provides the Authentication token used to run it.
anyone have one of those?
Thanks very much,
Karen