Kodi and Kodi screenreader, any updates/luck?

I've been poking at this for the past few days since I want to set up a media server on my home network for photos, videos, etc.

So I figured okay. I know how to get Kodi to connect to that and it's something my folks are familiar with. I'll use that.

Now to my problem. I know out of the box it doesn't come with a screenreader. I know in older versions I could just grab it fromm the repo but that doesn't work any more.

And so, I googled about it, and found a forum thread about it, but that didn't end up working. So....if anyone's on here who uses Kodi with the screenreader, any luck with it/any working updates or should I move to something else?