Re: How to get speech in a console session?

Hi,

short answer: this does not work in Debian out of the box, so needs a
post-install configuration of the system.

Long answer:
this post from Samuel Thibault explains why:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-accessibility/2017/12/msg00089.html

I have also proposed the way this works in Slint in this post:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-accessibility/2018/11/msg00012.html

But as far as I know there has been no change in Debian wrt this specific
issue, so you will need to either purge PulseAudio from Debian  (probably at
the price of loosing some features like audio via bluetooth if I remember
correctly) or start PulseAudio systeme wide, which is not recommended by
upstream for security reasons unless in specific use cases like an embedded
system. The post from Samuel will give you a more in-depth explanation.

Cheers,
Didier
--
Didier Spaier