Re: Mate Desktop questions

A nice feature of the menu system:  hit the 'super; key and start typing. You'll get an incremental
search of application names and descriptions, and pages in the control center gui.

This menu is a very nice addition to the MATE desktop, and is packaged for other distributions as well. In Arch, I found mate-menu in the AUR, and in Fedora, it's packaged in the repository already. If you like the Mint menu, just install the mate-menu package, go to the top left corner of the screen, or bottom left if you only have the bottom panel, right click the menu bar, remove it from the panel, then just hit your right click or menu key again and click "Add to panel." Select "Advanced MATE Menu" from the list of applets you can add and then just activate the add button. The best part is that your 3-part menu bar gets replaced with this really nice super key menu that includes the incremental search, but you still have access to a menu that combines applications, system and places into a single menu using alt_f1. I performed this menu replacement surgery on my Fedora machine first about a week or two ago, and I just did it on the Arch machine today. Personally, I like it better than Brisk, which I found first, from a post on this list actually.

~Kyle