Re: Best Distro for Blind

Orca is the primary, perhaps sole, graphical screen reader for Linux
that is in active development and is generally considered highly
compatible with Gnome and Mate, moderately compatible with other
GTK-based Desktop Envrionments and Window Manager, and poorly
compatible with KDE, QT, and other non-GTK based graphical setups,
though the latter has made massive improvements in recent months.

As Orca is nominally part of Gnome, just about any distro that has a
Gnome flavor should have a package for Orca, and once things are
setup, I'm not convinced the choice of distro makes much difference on
how well Orca works with your chosen Desktop Environment.

Where things do vary is in how accessible a Distro's installer is and
how easily Orca can be made to launch automatically.

My setup is based on the Debian-based Knoppix running in Adriane mode,
but the main reasons I do this is that Adriane uses a console-screen
reader that isn't readily available on most distros and allows one to
launch Fierfox+Orca without the need to launch a full Desktop, which I
find handy since Firefox is the only graphical application I use.
Probably not the best option if you plan to hang out in the Desktop
all the time as Knoppix, being designed primarily as a LiveDVD, has
some quirks that make it less than ideal for installing to a
Harddrive.

Debian is a good option for an accessible installer and easily getting
Orca up and running(the Installer can be made to talk, and I'm pretty
sure choosing to install a Desktop Enviornment makes the system come
up with Orca talking), but Debian's slow and steady development cycle
means Debian Stable is often well behind on software upgrades,
especially in the area of accessibility, though this can be somewhat
alleviated by adding Debian Backports to a Debian Stable system or
upgrading to Debian Testing or Debian Unstable. Knoppix sources most
of its software from Debian and I can attest to Debian Testing being
pretty stable... If you need Wi-Fi, you probably want to seek out the
unofficial images that include non-free firmware as that is one area
where Debian's reluctance to include non-free software in the core
system can be a unworkable hindrance.

I've heard mixed reviews for both Ubuntu and Fedora when it comes to
accessibility.

Slint is probably the best alround distro for out of the box
accessibility, but be warned that it is based on Slackware, a distro
with a bit of a reputation for being less beginner friendly than
Debian and its deriatives.

I understand that there are several projects offering easy setup of
Arch with screen readers, but again, Arch is a distro with a
reputation for being for more experienced Linux users.

Please note, Knoppix is the only distro I have current experience with
and the above is just a summary of what I've read on this and other
accessibility-related mailing lists.