tried accessible coconut

Once I got orca talking in the installer accessible coconut appeared to
install nicely.  On first boot, I heard five grub tones and I heard my
speakers click as expected, then the rest was silence.  I tried alt-f2
orca to get a screen reader up and that didn't happen either.  I expect I
downloaded a corrupted image which didn't get me the two sets of chimes
post-install like what happened during install when accessible coconut
started for the first time.
That or maybe I have to wait a while to get the two sets of chimes before
trying anything else.  What's a reasonable time to wait?