Re: Ubuntu, UEFI and hard disks

Didier, I would if I could get that far. For some inane reason...my Dell Insprion 5482 seems to think anything with secure boot off = legacy mode, despite everything being set up with EUFI no matter what.

Birdie, how exactly would I check what I got in Windows as I got told many, many ways to check

On 03/11/2019 20:56, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
Hello, Birdie here!

On 2019-11-03 21:45, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
I do have Windows installed, yes. I'm using Ubuntu 18.04.3 Mate,
mostly since I've had zero issues installing it on other systems even
with SSDs in (my desktop has SSDs in it for example). Everything I've
read and been told by Canonical is to keep UEFI on but remove secure
boot to avoid problems, so that's what I did. I went through and made
the bootable USB with Rufus in Windows, and yes it boots. But...

Before NVMe existed SSDs were connected using either SATA or SAS.
Those looked interface wise the same as all other SATA or SAS disks.
If your desktop SSD is connected using SATA it looks essentially
same as whatever SATA drive be it spinning platters or whatnot.

Having checked it, it's a SSD, 256GB (which is fine for my laptop),
so....is there anything in particular I need to gett Ubuntu Mate
18.04.3 and the Ubiquity installer to detect the SSD and NVME
connections?

It appears different Ubuntu 18 distributions have had problems with
different NVMe SSD drives.

What is the computer make and model? Please be as specific as possible.
Same models come in different configurations so it's extremely
important to know the exact type. Alternatively you could use the
existing Windows and use it to tell your SSD exact make and model.
They come in different interfaces. You should tell the exact model.
Also your computer processor, chipset, and so on might come in handy.