Re: Blog or CMS recommendation

I used a few guides on Digital Ocean for Ubuntu 16.04, but I'm sure they
might work for another Debian distro. The installation for Redhat
distributions might be slightly different.

Generally, they ask that you set up a non-root account, and then secure
it with RSA key fingerprints. Once that's done, you will need to install
a firewall, like UFW.

Then, you will have to install Apache or httpd, My-SQL or Maria, and an
assortment of PHP packages. You can do all of these through the pakcage
manager, or download each of these from their respected web sites. Once
you have configured them to your liking, and they are up and running,
you should either use the My SQL shell or download and configure PHP My
Admin and create a new database with global privileges to allow all
access. Take note of the name of the database, as well as the user name
and password. You will need this later.

Then, download the wordpress.zip file and unzip it to /var/www/html or a
similar location. You need to open and edit wp_config.php and put in the
database name, username and password.

Open your browser and go to your server's IP address or hostname, and
the Wordpress installation should work.

You might have to play around with the file and folder permissions. I
asked about this a while back because I was having trouble updating
wordpress. They recommend 0755 for the directories and 0644 for the
files. The ownership of the files should be set to either www-data, or
the name of your database and a similar group.

-Harmony
http://www.sensation-experience.com/