Linux distro and questions

Hello,

I have been a part of this list for a while now. Even though I do not post much, I do follow the topic threads. I primarily use a Mac due to the high quality of speech and access to the Unix terminal but I would like to become more familiar with Linux. Recently I have been using Linux a bit more with Orca and had a few questions.

1. I am finding some Orca commands difficult, and some commands I cannot figure out at all. The first thing is when I want to review or copy output from the terminal window. Is there a way to Easily review and copy terminal output?
2. Is there other screen readers which make the Linux desktop accessible besides Orca? I read on here and other lists that there is speak up but that is a terminal specific screen reader, right? Does speak up allow for review of the terminal output?
3. I want to purchase a laptop and install a Linux distro on it. I have used Red Hat on my AWS server for a long time and also used Ubuntu for a long time on things like my Raspberry PI. Is there a distro which is better for accessibility than the other?
I am sure some of you might read these questions as naive given the information out there on such questions but when I am using Ubuntu on the desktop computer in my research lab with Orca I am finding some commands to not work as documentation says they should. I would just like to get some feedback from experienced users to make sure this is simply user error and not something I am missing software wise. Thanks ahead of time for any and all positive feedback.
Bryan Duarte | software engineer

ASU Computer Science Ph.D Student
IGERT Fellow
Alliance for Person-centered Accessible Technology (APAcT)
Center for Cognitive Ubiquitous Computing (CUbiC Lab)
National Federation of the Blind of Arizona | Affiliate Board Member
National Association of Blind Students | Board Member
Arizona Association of Blind Students | President
Phone: 480-652-3045