Re: Pilot, as mentioned in my other thread.

Pilot is a file manager. The list you saw is the directories in the current directory which is followed by any files in it.

Commonly file related commads by entering a single letter which works on the hughlighted item.

For example if one hits 'e' a new text file is opened.  If one enters a
text file and does the same the editor loads it for editing.

A 'd' deletes, etc. and there is a couple of lines of help at the bottom of the screen for the commands.

Some of the configurations for alpine overlap with pilot. In alpine nano can be chosen for the editor in place of pico. If this isn't done pico is the defaulut editor in pilot.

Configurations in alpine can be set within it or by editing directly the .pinerc file which is annotated as to each item function. Alpine has a contextual hlp when on highlighted items in the configuration section of it.

The pilot start up
 options can be gotten with:

pilot -h

The man page has more detailed information.