Re: Blind vs. mainstream distros

According to Chris
# When I maintained Talking Arch, I tested every release with at least one
# boot to make sure that it came up talking.  I'm sure Kyle and Kelly do
# the same.

Absolutely. In fact, I build the TalkingArch iso after being sure my working copy is in sync with the upstream Archiso git repository. The first thing I do then is write it to a USB drive and boot it up on bare metal that has two capable sound cards. I have to be absolutely sure that it correctly plays the recorded message and the single card beeps, as early on, I tested on virtual hardware and didn't know that the pick-a-card functionality wasn't built until after the release, so some users had a less than usable image. Once I have tested what I can and find that it works, I detach-sign it and upload it to the hosting server, and I send the link to Kelly for him to test. He tests the boot again, especially with regard to braille, and he also occasionally catches any problem I missed. If he finds that everything works, he detach-signs the iso, and it is then ready for release, which at that point only involves a very small modification to the download page, creation of the torrent and whitelisting it in the tracker, and of course announcing the release via the various channels. All this said, although testing takes the longest to complete, it is indeed the most important part of the process, and is worth the time to get it right. Sad but true, accessibility does sometimes suffer from incomplete testing, due to the combination of a lack of testers and a lack of awareness of how the optional accessibility should be working.
~Kyle