Re: Re : Re: Blind vs. mainstream distros

According to Jean-Philippe MENGUAL:
# That is why I think we should have pre-installed Linux computers, new, but to a typical Mac price.

Not at all. I for one don't want to have to pay the ridiculous price of a Mac, and adding to the price certainly doesn't add to the value of the computer, nor of the operating system that runs on it. Cost-free is certainly not a sustainable answer, but low-cost certainly can be, especially with all the low-cost computers available these days. For example, it is now possible for me to sell a complete Linux solution to anyone who needs it for the same $200 to $300 USD that matches the cost of all these Windows PC sales we see in our local stores, and that includes any markup for labor cost putting everything together and installing the software. Additionally, the savings the end user will see on his/her power bill each month will make it pay for itself before it is obsoleted by newer and better hardware. Is this sustainable? Absolutely, as long as there are customers. My only real worry now is the Android tablet market that may drive people to purchase these instead of a desktop computer, even if the desktop computer is much smaller and more portable than the traditional version used to be, and even though the operating system that is running on the microdesktop is far more robust.
~Kyle