Re: Sonar GNU/Linux merges with Vinux

It's not that I don't care about new users coming to Linux from Windows. It's more that I care about the new computer user who's starting with Linux. Why shouldn't they have the most intuitive set of key bindings possible? What about those that have been using Orca all along? How about those who are Windows users but want a more intuitive set of key bindings? Should screen reader developers be held back from coming up with new and innovative ways of doing things because they have to stick to an old set of key bindings that weren't even developed for their platform or screen reader?

I do care about those users coming from Windows, but I'm not sure that should be the driving motivation for Orca's key bindings and the underlying features needed to support them.

I also don't think a screen reader key mapping is the biggest issue keeping people from moving from Linux to Windows. There are a lot more moving parts to this transition then just a screen reader and it's key mappings.

For my part, I used Windows and JAWS almost exclusively from 1997 to 2011. I still use it on my job today. I have no problem learning a new set of key bindings especially if I feel it's a better and more intuitive set of bindings.

--
Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail