Re: Blind vs. mainstream distros

I'm Tony Baechler. See below. I disagree from experience.

On 4/23/2017 4:53 PM, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
Honestly, there isn't any distro I could in good conscience recommend
to a new Linux user blind or otherwise without caveats. Debian Stable
is usually rock solid, but that comes at the price of using old
versions of many applications, and while I tend to think Debian
Testing strikes a good balance between stability and cutting edge, I'd
have to agree it isn't for the average joe. Many swear by Knoppix as a
live CD, and running in Adriane mode, it's easily the most blind
accessible OS I've tried, but it's installer leaves much to be
desired(the installer is accessible and easy to use, but it doesn't
even allow creating user accounts aside from the default, creating a
separate home partitiion, or setting a sudo password).

Well yeah, what do you expect for a live CD? My talking live rescue CD has the same limitations and it's only for the console. I don't recommend installing a live CD, whether mine or someone else's. The Debian live CD goes into a different mode when doing the install. Ubuntu has the option to try it or install, although you can run the installer from the live system. Both use debootstrap to install a clean system. I installed the grml live CD a long time ago. What a mess! My system constantly broke and I never got X working. My drive crashed which was just as well. Since installing Debian testing, I've rarely had breakage. It's kind of boring now. I upgrade 500 packages and everything goes smoothly. I don't have to downgrade and repair my system by hand anymore.

And while many Linux distributions are easier to install than
ever(accessibility issues aside), I think it's fair to say that
Installing an OS is still a Power User task, and ideally, for the
average joe, you want something a power user can install for them when
they buy a new computer and then never need to ask the power user for
help again. Granted, I don't think any OS has come that far in the
"you don't need the assistence of a power user" department.

I disagree. My dad installed Ubuntu MATE several times on his own without help. He didn't tell me he did the install until after the fact. I only had to walk him through the first time and that was only to partition his drive.