Re: Sonar GNU/Linux merges with Vinux

I'm Tony Baechler. See below.

On 4/23/2017 3:49 PM, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
Granted, I could be wrong and the only reason there isn't a .deb for
NVDA or an install.exe for Orca is because no one's tried compiling
them outside their native environments, but if it was that simple, it
begs the question of why no one has tried compiling them.

Actually, there is an install.exe for Orca. It's part of Cygwin and there should be an official Gnome binary. You can run a full Gnome desktop on native Windows. I don't know if Orca actually works, but in theory it should as it's written in Python. In reality, I'm sure it doesn't because Windows doesn't provide the same components and libraries as Linux. I think I read it doesn't work on BSD either even though it's in the ports tree. It might be possible to build NVDA with MinGW on Linux, but probably not. NVDA is written in Python, so you can run the latest git checkout without compiling. I think it uses C for some functions, but I'm no programmer and I have no idea.