Re: Sonar GNU/Linux merges with Vinux

I'm Tony Baechler. See below.

On 4/23/2017 3:11 PM, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
Absolutely.  For a number of years now, I've thought it would be nice to
have an umbrella foundation to help accessibility related projects.  I
don't know where it would get its funding, and I don't know what
considerations it would need to make when allocating resources to
projects.  Honestly I don't know anything about this sort of thing, but
the Linux Access Foundation sounds like a really good idea, in theory.

Yes. I would much rather see Vinux and Sonar resources used in this way. We really need an umbrella organization. How about VIBLUG? Visually Impaired and Blind Linux Users Group. I guess it isn't technically a LUG, but you get the idea. As to funding, as I've said before, it needs to be US-based. No, I'm not being US-centric, I'm being realistic. There are lots of companies who already support Linux development. Google and HP come to mind. Due to the sheer size of the population, I think a US nonprofit could get a lot more funding. Beyond that, social media is the next frontier. I can't stand Facebook, tumblr etc, but that's how you get the message out. Have a look at <http://diasp.org/>. It's an open source social network. Be warned that it isn't that accessible. Since it isn't centralized, anyone can run their own pod. The nonprofit could and should run one and could modify the software to make it accessible. Remember the teens and young adults of today are the potential donors and coders of tomorrow.

Yes. FSF could also do it now a11y makes part of priorities.

Really? From what I've seen, they're focused on too many other projects. I think a dedicated organization would be better. If we're part of the FSF, we play by their rules. If the FSF decides they don't like Fedora because it isn't free enough, they pull funding and support. Getting FSF support would be a very good idea and I support working with them, but I think we need to be independent.