Re: smtp.gmail.com recent problem

In my case, I had old syntax that needed correction and didn't remember when my .fetchmailrc file had been modified last. I somewhat got that fixed and ended up pulling down email from gmail with talkingarch so now need to check my .fetchmail.log file out for details. I want nothing of fetchmail in system logs since if I put it in $HOME in its own log file I know where to look when things break for whatever reason.

On Sat, 2 Apr 2016, Christian Schoepplein wrote:

Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2016 11:50:37
From: Christian Schoepplein <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Linux for blind general discussion <blinux-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: smtp.gmail.com recent problem

On Sa, Apr 02, 2016 at 09:10:28 -0500, Brian Tew wrote:
smtp.gmai.com recently began refusing my emails as follows;

mail server doesn't recognize myusername@xxxxxxxxx

But I can receive and send on the same account with apple ipad and can
still receive popmail in ubuntu.

What is the exact error message if you try to send a mail? Your local
mailserver, that authenticates to gmail, or your mail client should give
a more detailed description of the error and without this details we can
only gues what is going on :-(.

Maybe you have to configure your gmail account that also insecure
client logins are alowed. That is what I've had to do for some Google
mail accounts to be able to use them with linux...

Cheers and all the best from Munich,

 Schoepp